WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Home dumb can you get
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:13 pm 
Veteran

I am caretaker for a large farm with a mile of woodsline. Some people have snuck in to the back and set up a large number of game cameras, cut shooting lanes and put out bait. What is stupid is they set up the cameras first, then cut the lanes and put out the bait. We pulled the flash cards and have beautiful pictures of them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:38 pm 
Veteran

Perfect! :lol:

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:39 pm 
Veteran

ROFFLMAO
(FF=Forrest Floor)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:17 am 
Veteran

That is the problem with most evildoers, they don't think!
They get an idea but, planning, considering, and just plain old thinking it out ahead of time, never occurs to them.
Most crooks get caught for doing something stupid OR tell someone else about it in some way.
When I was in the Air Force, most AWOLS would just go home. Guess where the first place we would look? In a few cases a parent would call in on them. They didn't want the deadbeat back either. :)

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
I am caretaker for a large farm with a mile of woodsline. Some people have snuck in to the back and set up a large number of game cameras, cut shooting lanes and put out bait. What is stupid is they set up the cameras first, then cut the lanes and put out the bait. We pulled the flash cards and have beautiful pictures of them!

Speaking of game cams, be careful about them in the future. They can be, and have been recently, used to trigger explosives. ATF advisory linked to in the below story. :shock:

Quote:
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Kentucky State Police warn that 12 improvised explosive devices have been found in wooded areas of Harlan County.

The public safety advisory, issued Monday, cautions the devices were found along the Dave Smith Drainage Area– the Woodland Hills Subdivision– on the Little Black Mountain Spur in Harlan County. In at least three of the incidents, the devices were found inside trail cameras and were designed in such a way that they would trigger when batteries were inserted.

In some instances, other items such as paint cans were found in the area and a tree stand has reportedly been booby trapped as well.

The IEDs started popping up back in as far back as March and authorities have been on the lookout all summer.

A joint investigation by federal and local agencies led to the arrest of Mark Sawaf, 39, in June, after a device utilizing a Winchester 9mm shell casing, an unknown explosive material and a detonator, blew several fingers off a local man the month prior. Some of the components had been hot glued together.

More: http://www.guns.com/2016/08/24/public-w ... e=facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 am 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Kentucky State Police warn that 12 improvised explosive devices have been found in wooded areas of Harlan County.

I simply cannot understand the mindset of someone who would do this. Any idea as to the motivation, Gene?

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Gene wrote:

I simply cannot understand the mindset of someone who would do this. Any idea as to the motivation, Gene?

Nothing more than what was in the story or the accompanying report here: http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crim ... 51172.html .

Apparently the only motivation was that he was pissed that his cams had been stolen in the past. That's not uncommon on public property, but this is the first time I've heard of them being booby trapped. Since it's getting some press lately, I expect there will be more of this kind of thing.

They could be far more deadly and/or with more sophisticated triggering mechanisms than what this guy designed. I won't go into that aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:16 am 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Gene wrote:

I know from stomping around in the foothills in CA, growers rigged trip wires and devices designed to keep people away from the marijuana fields. Perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 pm 
Veteran

Maybe the bears are armed! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:13 am 
AdminDude

Donald Weimer wrote:

Kewl post a few pictures, love to see them tee hee varmints, caught in their own snare.