WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Schwarz Bandwagon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:26 pm 
Veteran

How many on WWA have jumped on this bandwagon? I really became a fan of Chris' ideas when he was editor of Popular Woodworking and have followed his blog(s), attended his seminar, bought all his books and am, currently, making some of his designs in my shop. I met him and had lunch plus a few 'set down' chats with him 2 years ago when he came to San Diego for our Fall Seminar. He has many ideas and idiosyncrasies that either stimulate or deflate folks interest which (IMHO) keeps him in the arena with contemporary woodworking communities. I am wondering if there are others here who share my growing interest with this ANARCHIST. I'm so enthused that I've started trading some of my projects for services.
I know Tom shares some of my admiration....who else does?? Let's hear who & why!!

Don

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 pm 
Veteran

About whom are you talking??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:31 pm 
Veteran

CHRISTOPHER SCHWARZ of Lost Art Press ( http://lostartpress.com/ ), former editor of Poplar Woodworking Magazine, teacher, author of many woodworking articles & books and self-proclaimed anarchist!
Obviously, Paul, you are not one of the bandwagoners! Thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 pm 
Veteran

Hey Don,

I guess you could say that I drank the Cool-aid, but of course in true Anarchist form, Chris would say,

"Disobey Me!"

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 pm 
Veteran

DON2LAUGHS: Thank you very much for the website for LOST ART PRESS. I've been more familiar with Chris Schwartz from his appearances on Roy Underhills TV show and really enjoyed him there. I went to the page you posted and was amazed and intrigued by all the content. Although I'm not much of a bandwagon sort, I really enjoy Chris' wit and approach to the craft.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:59 am 
Veteran

Yes, Tom, I can see the influence in your recent works. As I recall, you took a class from him....I'm sure you came away with a similar respect for his wit & intellect as did I.

newtooth....you're very welcome. I might add that your response is very gratifying. My acquaintance with him & his philosophy came at a very strategic time for me.....I was recovering from pneumonectomy and having to rethink my approach to my passion of woodworking....less sawdust=fewer machines. It ushered me into a much more fulfilling way of doing what I love to do.

Don