WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I got the last one!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 pm 
Veteran

All my stationary tools suffered last winter, a broken back kinda distracted me from waxing or even looking at them. But the Lee Valley steel router table top was the absolute worst. No way to recover it, so I went to buy a new one. Holy Smokes! they don't make them any longer. :cry: :cry: But after a pleading phone call ("But I have ALL the accessories and everything!") they found one in the rafters somewhere, it should arrive tomorrow. Whew! Really wasn't looking forward to creating a whole new RT situation.

Post subject: Re: I got the last one!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 am 
Veteran

I can definitely relate to the rust problem in the shop. Too bad about the table but happy for ya that you found a replacement.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 am 
Veteran

Great sadness when I took a close look at the Delta planer -- the posts have rust, all 4 of them! Am hoping I can get it off without taking the machine apart. Evaporust is great stuff, but don't want to disassemble. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:19 pm 
Veteran

Holy cow! Were you using the shop for a sauna or something! Can't imagine rust on that scale. Even in my shop!

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 pm 
Veteran

Nope, no sauna (would have been nice, though). IIRC, humidity can get 65% or over when I don't heat the shop, and it hasn't been heated for 3 years. The jointer and steel router table top suffered the most, but the jointer is surface stuff mostly. I don't know what happened on the router top, but it was just eaten alive in spots. I think I can recover it to be "functional" with an Evaporust bath, but that's a project for July or August. Am on a mission now -- use it or lose it. If anything distracts me again from woodworking, the tools will get sold -- not left to sit around! Am more than a little p*$$ed off at myself for letting this happen. :x

I really missed woodworking when I dropped it for the horses. But at the time, I was riding anywhere from 3 to 5 horses every day, and totally focused on that. Had no mental or physical energy for anything else coming home in the evenings. Really happy to be done with them, though. They are a 24/7 commitment, and you can't turn the lights out and forget about them the way you can with a piece of wood. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:05 pm 
Veteran

PS: I think I found a good rust preventative though -- most of my lathe bed was covered with sawdust, and didn't rust. the 8" or so that was clear has light surface rust. Kinda like the talcum-powder thing I guess.