WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:58 am 
Veteran

Hi all,

For several reasons (not least of which the recent base closure announcement which would have affected the base I planned to work at) it looks like we are unfortunately no longer going to be moving to England.

Karen and I plan to try to settle on Whidbey island- an island on the Puget Sound outside Seattle. It was one of our favorite places we saw on our trip around the USA and we hope it will prove a great place to continue to raise our boys (now 11 and 13).

We are hoping to buy a house (with enough space for a workshop for me :) ) - I would like to continue producing shadow boxes / tail flashes / etc for the military to supplement my retirement pension.

Your prayers or well wishes for my family are very much appreciated and please let me know if any of you are ever in the area!

Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:22 pm 
Veteran

Thanks, Lawrence, for posting here! :P I'm sure Karen and the boys will be delighted with the new plans. Your family is adorable! As for supplementing your income....you've certainly got the talent, skill and ingenuity...as we here have seen over the years. And your talents continue to broaden with the newfound ability with the camera lens. I'm sure folks like Zulu and others can chime in here and offer pointers on marketing.
Sure looking forward to your posts as you explore the 'new' area and start building your new nest! You've come a long way from San Angelo!

good luck,
Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:46 pm 
Veteran

Don2Laughs wrote:
Thanks, Lawrence, for posting here! :P I'm sure Karen and the boys will be delighted with the new plans. Your family is adorable! As for supplementing your income....you've certainly got the talent, skill and ingenuity...as we here have seen over the years. And your talents continue to broaden with the newfound ability with the camera lens. I'm sure folks like Zulu and others can chime in here and offer pointers on marketing.
Sure looking forward to your posts as you explore the 'new' area and start building your new nest! You've come a long way from San Angelo!

good luck,
Don

Lawrence,
All my business comes from the internet.
My website now has 129,000 hits.
Of course, cannon carriage sites are few and far between.
Still, there is nothing like someone hitting your website and sending you money! :D :D :D
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 pm 
Veteran

You'll LOVE Whidbey Is.! We're not that far, in Mt Vernon, so perhaps once you're settled we can make eye contact. There's a great WW club, the Northwest Corner Woodworkers, that meets once a month in Mt Vernon you might want to look at joining. A great bunch of guys and gals. I don't belong to it myself but know several of the members who are also members of the Northwest Washington Woodturners, the turning club I'm in.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 pm 
Veteran

Hey Lawrence,

On thing you'll like about our corner of the universe is that crusty old hillbillies, like Dennis, and (ahem) young urban hipsters like myself get along fine together. In fact, I'm rather fond of the the old... woodturner. :D

Cheers,
Tom

Ps. This is a pig roast year, so we'll be expecting you, the family, and your appetites.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 pm 
Veteran

Thanks all- I'm REALLY looking forward to getting a shop up and running again. (and maybe even some blacksmithing if we get the right place)

I look forward to seeing y'all and thanks again for the warm welcome to your beautiful neck of the woods.

Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:41 am 
Veteran

tms wrote:
...This is a pig roast year, so we'll be expecting you, the family, and your appetites.

We should have a good crowd this year!

Cheers - Dennis