WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:55 pm 
Veteran

Gene,

Upon further review of my Gradfather's 22, I did some things you recommended. I took the barrel out of the stock and looked for a model number. No model number found, at first glance since I was looking for the words "model" but only saw a number 5 stamped in it and thought it was a part number. I looked again at the link you posted and there actually is a 5 on the chart that doesn't have any other digits with it. 1936-45, 22,000 made. I think that must be it.

Not worried about the value, since to me it's a family heirloom, not for sale! :wink:

I thank you very much Gene.

Ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:05 pm 
Veteran

I think you nailed it. Prior to WWII, model and serial numbers were not required, so it was up to the manufacturer to do or not do as they saw fit. Sometimes the only way to determine approx. mfg date is by other less obvious characteristics such as stock design, checkering, etc. Gotta be a sleuth to ferret some of this info out.

On yours, I'd think that with only 22k made that the majority of them are probably gone forever, so you may have a rifle that is worth $500 or more. Of course that always depends on what a buyer is willing to pay, but for insurance purposes I'd value it at about that. One thing that will always increase the value is if the gun has some documented historical significance. Was it used in a war or other historical event, owned by a historically important person, has the original box/paperwork, etc. All these things will add value. Just like having all the numbers matching paperwork for a classic car. Collectors look for stuff like this.

I have a few guns (and other things) that I've planned on passing down to various relatives, and make an effort to document them as much as possible. It's a generational value thing.