For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scroll saw
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:37 pm 
Veteran

I guess I am doing PM's wrong, so I'll post it here:

"Verna,

Being a scroll sawer, I thought you might enjoy my little story.

When I started woodworking I bought most everything from Lowe's. Delta shopmaster brand. I set up and started a little refrigerator magnet. The saw jumped around, the blade wandered all over the place and my magnet looked like it was made by a rabid beaver. I was disappointed. I figured it was me not knowing poop. I pretty much gave up on it. Recently I had to use it again. I started looking it over. I found the motor had three mounting bolts were almost out. As a result the lower arm and crank were loose, the lower blade holder was shot, the upper blade holder was loose. Pretty much shot.

After talking things over with the LOML, I decided on a new saw. Home Depot advertised the DeWalt DW788 for $499.00. Lowe's was $549.00. I went to HD to order a new one. Non in stock in their warehouse, and no idea when they would have one. Off to Lowe's. They had them in their warehouse. So I asked about a price match. Yep, they would do that. Matched HD's price plus another 10% off. Sounded good to me. Then I asked about a military discount Yup, an additional 10% off. I ended up paying $405.00 plus tax. It arrives on Friday.

So, what blades would you recommend? I will be mostly doing hardwoods 1/4 to 3/8"thick. Some inside cuts, for now.

Thanx for any advise,

Bob"

Post subject: Re: Scroll saw
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
AdminMama

Congrats on the DeWalt and on the great deal!!! You'll notice the difference immediately. Definitely try the inside cuts. You can keep the blade in the top, loosen the bottom and top-feed the blade through the wood. Inside cuts become fun!!

I highly recommend Olsen PGT #5, #7, #9 for being the longest lasting blades. I haven't ordered any for a while, but I got them from Wildwood Designs. Great service, great website, quick shipping.

I know others have ordered the Flying Dutchman blades, but I've never tried them, so I cannot comment on them.

You'll have fun, Bob!! I went through 7 different brands before I found the DeWalt. It was a great introduction.

Hollar if you have any more questions.

To send a PM, click on my name and look for "PM" in the lower left. Click on the "PM" box, type your message in the area on the right, and click on "Submit" when done.

Verna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:55 pm 
Veteran

Thanx Verna!! I've used Sloan's in the past. You have to call them, but they are great people too. Must be something about woodworkers :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am 
Veteran

I've had the same saw that you and Verna have for about six years and I echo what Verna said. It is not the top of the line anymore (there are a lot more expensive saws) but, it is the best bang for the buck and it sounds like you got 20% more bang too! :lol:
I use the Flying Dutchman blades and have very good luck with them.
I use Mike's Workshop (it is in Brandon, SD) and a phone call (1-605-582-6732) will get the blades to me in about two days! 8) He is very helpful and friendly and is good for advise on the various blades. He sells them by the dozen or the 1/2 gross or gross, the minimum order is three dozen and they are not all that expensive compared to buying blades at your hardware store.
Have fun and make a lot of sawdust. :-D Once you get going, it is a VERY relaxing way to woodwork! :-D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.