WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am 
Veteran

My wife and I just got back from a little trip.
We carred 2 Android based smart phones 1 I-Pad and a Laptop computer.
Is this normal?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 am 
Veteran

Sounds 'bout right to me, plus an assortment of chargers and cables. I have two bags for carrying electronics when I travel, but I am known as a bit of a gadget nut. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 pm 
Veteran

My wife has an old Tracfone she carries in her purse. Doesn't get much use.

I don't carry any electronic gadgets - not even a battery operated watch (or any watch for that matter). Got no need for such tomfoolery. I do carry a gun occasionally tho.

Last edited by Gene on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:56 pm 
Veteran

I usually carry my cell phone.............it's not an Iphone. I really like to text more than call that way I can check at my convenience.

I do turn it off when fishing, It ruins the whole experience IMHO.

When travelling we bring a laptop too for in the motel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm 
Veteran

Sounds about right. We have two phones, a laptop, two nook tablets, and a GPS for the car. Of course some of these have to be charged. We also have a digital camera that we can download pictures to the laptop. We usually carry our own coffee and coffee pot. We like our coffee made our way.
We have to make a checklist to make sure we have all the cables and extra stuff we need. Life just isn't as simple as it was back in "the good old days". However, I don't want to go back to some of the life in the good old days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 am 
Veteran

Mighty Mite,

My dad used to say "There is no such thing as the "Good Old Days', I've never had it as good as I have it today." I have to agree with him. :)
He grew up on the 30's so that alone explains it for him. I grew up in the 50's which were much better, but still I have it better now than I did then. :)
When I was in High School in the early 60's if someone had told me that one day I would walk around with a telephone on my belt and could call anyone anytime of day or night from anywhere I might be, I would have called them crazy! :shock: :confused: 8)
Not to mention my PC and GPS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:38 pm 
Veteran

Yes Roger, I agree 100%. Some, but not all, of my early years were on a farm. I remember the good stuff, such as fresh vegetables out of the garden, and smoked ham from our smokehouse..
But, most of the rest of that time was hard work and barely making it.
That was after the earlier years when my dad worked in a coal mine in SE KY. Were were dirt poor and life was bad.
NO, I have no desire to go back. I have a great life today.........and I love my cell phone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 pm 
Veteran

Daddy Gloves wrote:
My wife and I just got back from a little trip.
We carred 2 Android based smart phones 1 I-Pad and a Laptop computer.
Is this normal?

Depends on how good you are at sharing :-)
Sometimes we'll bring two laptops, two tablets (iPad, Nexus7), two phones (iPhone, Nexus4), and a Nook. Oh, and two iPods, the GPS that lives in the console of the car. Probably forgetting something in the list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm 
AdminMama

I heard last weekend that it was a national "get off of the Internet and do something else" day (I forget what it was really called). It sounded like a good idea to once in a while to live without the Internet. I'm not saying I was totally successful...but I thought about it a lot. I do use the Internet on my iPhone a lot. I get a beep when I have a new e-mail. So, I turned off the sound on the phone (data and phone calls), and it was rather nice, for a change.

When traveling, GPS on the dash, iPhone charging, satellite radio in dash, small iPod nearby, larger iPod in Teardrop in its Sound Dock, laptop that may or may not be used (depends on Wi-Fi--I don't have a hot spot), TV in the teardrop with an HD eternal antenna and DVD's (sometimes it rains, or gets cool outside), and books (I haven't been able to justify the purchase of a Kindle...yet).

Sometimes while camping, though, I may not have cell service, which means I don't have the Internet. I spent a week last August like that, and I'll do the same this year. I have to walk, ride my bike, or drive at least a half a mile from the campsite to get a good cell signal. That's fine. It is nice to be unplugged now and then.

Verna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm 
Veteran

I must not be up to par. Between the wife and me, we ususally travel with a pair of stupid phones, (Cell phones that are JUST phones), up to 2 laptops, and my camera system which is digital. I've yet to be able to justify a tablet, and with our current financial situation I'm doing good to maintain what we have. :(

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon