WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Silly things you do
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:00 am 
Veteran

I have to share this with you. We have a small herd of beef cattle. We sell the calves once a year, and usually put a 2 year old steer in the freezer. Well this year came around to quickly and I missed the December sale for the calves. "No worries" said the agent( I am after all in Australia)"you can sell them in January, we are having a Steer sale one week, and a heifer sale the next"

He went on to give me the dates, and last Tuesday I got the steers ready to go, and the truck showed up and we loaded them and away they went to a new home. This is where the silly thing kicked in. The agent had given me the dates, and I had indeed written them down. However my brain, the small thing it is, decided that the sales were a week apart. So today my brain got me up early, I got all 6 heifers into the yards, ear tagged them, and managed to convince them to get into a borrowed stock trailer. Away we went, taking the longer uphill down hill route to avoid highways.

I arrived at the Yea Saleyards around ten thirty am. I knew no one would be there because I had enquired, and I was early. I unloaded my stock and put them in a pen, went back to the truck and got the paper work, and shoved it under the office door, and away I went back home. Luckily I texted my stock agent before I went. I was about 5 miles away when he called. "The sale isn't till Friday!! I think Peter was having a hard time not laughing, but Im not sure. So I found a place to do a u turn, and back to the yards I went. 45 minutes later all the heifers were back in the trailer and I was grinding my way back up and down the road of the Yea Spur (check it out on Google earth) its not earthshattering but its a big hill when you have 6 young ladies who weigh about 200 kilos each behind your 13 year old toyota 4 cylinder 4wd.

At this point I could have kept it all to my self, except for the fact that I had borrowed the trailer from my Volunteer fire brigade captain! I had to call him and ask if I can keep the trailer til
thursday and get it right. This amused Gavin quite a bit, so at least there is some positive vibes from the experiance.

If you read this far, I hope you laughed, but also felt my pain...

My major question is, why do our brains do this self sabotage? I don't know about you, but many times I have measured two or three times and still had to cut twice.
Maybe its just me..............................

Cheers,
eric

Post subject: Re: Silly things you do
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 am 
Veteran

I often cut it twice but it's still too short.

Great story, Eric.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 am 
Veteran

It's not just you Eric.
We traveled from Texas to Alabama at Christmas to visit relatives.
I pulled off the Interstate to get gas in Mississippi. After gasing up, I pulled back up on the highway and went 10 miles before I realized was going South instead of North. I simply have no idea what I was thinking. :confused: :confused:
Zulu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:58 pm 
Veteran

You are not alone, I attribute this as age related. I could be wrong the age thing could be related just to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:26 pm 
AdminMama

Eric, I just call it Sometimers.......some times I do the right thing, some times I don't, some times I'm right on time on the right date, some times I'm not.

The joys of retirement!!!

We won't tell anyone (don't you bet on that one!!!!)

Verna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:08 pm 
Veteran

Well if tomorrow goes as well as yesterday It will be a quick trip!
Thanks for the feedback!

Eric