WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
Veteran

I taught for the first time this school year today. When I got the absent list I noticed the same two boys on the suspended list that were often on the list last year. Two weeks into the school year and already they are suspended. Next year they will be wondering why they cann't get a job.Every year I try to get them to do "an attitude adjustment " but they just seem to think school is a joke and that they will do O.K. after they stop "wasting time in school ". :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:33 am 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
That in mind, it's been my experience you can't teach anyone anything. You simply facilitate their learning. If they have no interest in learning then there's little chance they will.

Nail squarely on the head. You can present the information, explain it in several ways, but they must internalize it to make it their own.

There's a difference between teaching, which Donald and others do, and education. Newspeak in the teaching profession calls a teacher an educator, which means even the ones who should know better haven't caught on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:06 am 
Veteran

Donald, you are describing our youngest son, only his behavior was worse than that. No one in the family or at the school could "talk" to him at that age. He ended up being expelled from school and was on a path to be a burden to society. The day he turned 17 his mother and I signed a release for him to enlist in the U.S. Army. He's been "in" now for nine years, deployed three times, married with a month old child, and a member of society the whole family is proud of. He'll even come home and go back and talk to his "old" teachers, he knows now he was wrong back then. There may be hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:16 pm 
Veteran

Lare, Yes there is hope for some but for many it is a sad future. Two years ago I did a lot of subing for the "special ed displinary" class. Of the three boys who were the major problems ; one is dead of a drug over dose. When I tried to teach him about measurements and proportions he insisted he didn't need to learn it because he was "never going to bake a cake!". One is in prison for dealing drugs, he was busted twice as a juvunile , then twice more after turning 18. And the third is one of the two who is suspended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:06 pm 
Veteran

You know, there really is only so much you can do to keep people from self destructing. Unfortunately, as Buffett says, "There's no Dumba$$ Vacsine." Some people have to learn the hard way.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 pm 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
You know, there really is only so much you can do to keep people from self destructing. Unfortunately, as Buffett says, "There's no Dumba$$ Vacsine." Some people have to learn the hard way.

And some never learn. Hence the fact that incarceration is a growth industry.