WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reviving an idle car
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 am 
Veteran

I've got a '95 Mazda Protege which we pulled off of the road over a year ago, intending to donate it to charity, well for various reasons that hasn't happened & now that we've added a driver to our family, we're thinking on putting some money into it and getting it going again. The gas in the tank is the real question, we've started it occasionally, and other than a dead battery at the moment, the last time we moved it it ran 'fine' if not well. What am I up against if the fuel has gone over? Are there any products I can put in to treat that fuel at least enough to get it to the repair shop for some work which it will need before I'm comfortable driving it again. my plan is for this to be my car for trips to lodge when my wife and middle son have other commitments, but it might wind up as the teenage beater once I teach said son to drive stick.

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 am 
Veteran

There's really no way to "regenerate" gas. As it ages it turns into varnish and will clog injectors, carb jets, etc. Stabil will extend the life of gas but will not "bring it back to life" so to speak. If the car starts and runs now, then I'd just drain the tank, change the filter(s) and put a couple gallons of fresh gas in it and let it idle/run for a while before heading out on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 am 
Veteran

If it's not a lot of gas, I would drain it off and do what Gene says. If it's a lot I would consider having it towed somewhere to get it removed. I wouldn't chance running it with that gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 am 
Veteran

P.S.

I've been through this with boats. If there is water in the fuel, it can be removed by filling a gallon glass pickle jar. the water will settle and you can pour off the gas.

If you think the fuel is not really varnished you could mix it 1/2 with high test and burn it off in your lawn mower. Easier to clean a small carb in your mower than a fuel system in your car engine. My boat mechanic deals with"old fuel a lot and he mixes and burns it in his mower on a regular basis rather than risk running it though an outboard.

I winterize my boat in November, use some of the extra gas in my snow blower and burn the rest of it off in my boat in may or June and never had problems. Never went over a year though.

My to cents. Good luck. ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 am 
Veteran

I may just have it picked up by the shop I'm going to have do the suspension work, they're good folk, and have done well by us in the past. It had under half a tank when it was parked, and certainly hasn't moved enough to use all of that up. Although my son was using it for some late night bbq's last summer... he'd run the engine and use the headlights (and stereo) when his buddies swarmed our grill for burgers at all hours of the night.

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:36 pm 
Veteran

Ned,

If it is truly just a year and has been used the way you say, I'd fill the tank with 93 octane or as close as you can get, throw some injector cleaner in for good measure and run it. The fact of the matter is that modern gasolines have so many additives in them these days, a year of light to little use is unlikely to cause enough of an issue to be concerned about. With the advent of OBD II (your '95 will be compliant), gas tanks have to be sealed tight for emissions reasons. As a result, water in the fuel is much less of a concern than it used to be unless you have a hole in the tank or the filler neck.

Fill the tank, fill the tires, replace the rusted brake pads and rotors and replace the dead battery and enjoy your car.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:47 pm 
Veteran

What Calab said......But, I would add an oil and filter change and maybe an air filter too just for good measure. :D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:21 pm 
AdminDude

I have used this product for over 14 years it works great. SEAFOAM for the gas tank. it breaks down the water molecules to wear it actually gets burned out. cleans the injectors and or valves. its is pricey at $10.00; at least here... on Maui, but considering the price of a mechanic.

I first used it when my tank was filled with sugar by kids. I flushed out my tank with hot boiler water. Thank goodness my tank was nearly empty and the morons left the gas tank cap off and the access door open. Must have almost been caught.

anyway I cleaned it out added a gallon of gas to get to the gas station. added SEAFOAM first then filled the tank. I went from 27mpg to 32mpg for almost a Year added it again same result. I use it in my 94 Astro when it gets tough to start. within a 1/4 tank of use she purrs and starts easily again.