WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Census Madness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 pm 
Veteran

Ok, I got my 2010 Census form in the mail yesterday, and opened it to find one very simple form.

Only one person under my roof, (the wife lives in WY and gets her own form).

Typical stuff, age, DOB, name, phone number for further questions, and somemore questions about who all lives there. Simple, just me.

The next column of questions though, really got my goat. Now as a kid I was raised to believe that "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL." I firmly believe that and spent the better part of 3 decades serving in the military to defend those words of our fore fathers. In the Military, it didn't matter if the troop next to you was latino, white, black, male or female. The troop next to you was the one who could someday save your bacon, or you might be the one to save theirs. We were all the same and the only difference of note what how many stripes were on the sleeve or what pins were on the collar. I've been commanded and supervised by both men and women, by latinos, blacks, whites and even Asians. All were different, and all were the same. It didn't matter the color or even the beliefs of those around me, we were all AMERICAN.

Furthermore, as an American Serviceman, I didn't fight to protect whites, or blacks, or latinos or native Americans, I fought to protect all Americans regardless of race or creed. I fought to protect all people who consider the US to be their home.

So when I saw that half of the form for each person in a household was all about race, I got more than just a little irritated. :mad: :mad: :mad:

However, after some careful thought, a nice cold beer and some careful consideration of my familie's history, I proceeded to check every single box concerning race. I have more than a couple latino's in my family tree, at least one black that I'm aware of, and my Grand Mother was 1/2 Cherokee. I AM AN AMERICAN MUTT AND DANGED PROUD OF IT! In the final space for other, I checked that one too and in the space to provide an explaination of "Other" I wrote, "AMERICAN/HUMAN RACE" Now, let them consider that for a spell.

All my life I've been taught to disregard race. That it was wrong to judge others by the color of their skin, but then the government places quota's on how many "Minorities" they have to have in their ranks. Employer's are forced to hire people based on race instead of thier knowledge and skill. Well I can tell you, a bullet don't care about the color of someone's skin, nor their sex, nor their beliefs.

I am an American, and that's all that matters under my roof. If that ain't good enough for the Government, then they can come to my house and meet with me in person and I'll be more than happy to educate them on this matter.

I personally believe that the Government needs to extracate their crainial protrudment from their glutious maximus and see the light and smell the roses and reallize that the Forefathers of this country were right in what they penned to paper over 200 years ago. Granted it took the better part of those 200 years to be fully realized, but it has come to pass.

We are all Americans!

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm 
Veteran

I think I understand where you are comming from and do agree with you for the most part. However, when other people refer to themselves as African-Americans or Latino-Americans or Native-Americans, I tend to think that they rather enjoy setting themselve apart from us multi-cultural Americans.
There must be reasons that people in general want to be seperated from everyone else but, I'm not sure why. The government wants to know how meny of each race, creed and color there are in the country for some reason also, and I am at a loss for that reason as well.
Now if they want to ask if you are a legal citizen or not, I think that is a valid question but, they never ask that!

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 pm 
Veteran

Rapid Roger wrote:
I think I understand where you are comming from and do agree with you for the most part. However, when other people refer to themselves as African-Americans or Latino-Americans or Native-Americans, I tend to think that they rather enjoy setting themselve apart from us multi-cultural Americans.
There must be reasons that people in general want to be seperated from everyone else but, I'm not sure why. The government wants to know how meny of each race, creed and color there are in the country for some reason also, and I am at a loss for that reason as well.
Now if they want to ask if you are a legal citizen or not, I think that is a valid question but, they never ask that!

Rog

Might be helpful to visit the 2010.census.gov site: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/i ... e-form.php

They explain about the questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
Veteran

Frank - according to the Census web site, it is used so the state can set up racially gerrymandered districts.

Yes, it is racism. Yes, it is reprehensible.

It creates crazy things like part of my district about 3 miles from my house:
- There is a country road that starts from the middle of nowhere and goes to the middle of nowhere
- The south side of the road is represented by Lloyd Dogget
- The north side of the road is represented by Lamar Smith
- 2 miles north of the north side of the road is represented by Lloyd Dogget
- 10 miles north of the north side of the road is covered by Lamar Smith

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out the point of that $3M super bowl add for the census using taxpayer dollars. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,

My understanding (from the Census website) is that the information is used to ensure equal rights under the law. There are plenty of folks out there that discriminate unfairly, and the information in the census helps to shed light on that.

The information is available to anyone, including state governments that may gerrymander the boarders of congressional districts. Gerrymandering is often seen as a negative, and there are abuses surely, but it can also be a positive force for ensuring that minority communities are given fair representation, when used properly.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Guys,

My understanding (from the Census website) is that the information is used to ensure equal rights under the law. There are plenty of folks out there that discriminate unfairly, and the information in the census helps to shed light on that.

The information is available to anyone, including state governments that may gerrymander the boarders of congressional districts. Gerrymandering is often seen as a negative, and there are abuses surely, but it can also be a positive force for ensuring that minority communities are given fair representation, when used properly.

Tom

That's only a small part of what the data is used for. If you go to the main site http://www.census.gov/ , You can find all sorts of analysis performed on the 2000 census data. The data (minus any personally identifiable info) is used by all kinds of people and organizations/businesses for many different purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 pm 
Veteran

Hey Gene,

My point exactly (I guess I didn't express it clearly). The demographic data from the census is public domain. Anyone of us is free to use it as he/she sees fit.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Gene,

My point exactly (I guess I didn't express it clearly). The demographic data from the census is public domain. Anyone of us is free to use it as he/she sees fit.

Tom

One of the more interesting uses is in the housing industry, which of course drives business plans, marketing, etc. for companies that supply all the stuff that people put in their houses, like appliances, furniture, raw materials (wood) and so on. It gives them an idea of where to put warehouses/stores and what to stock them with, etc. Industry and company statisticians have a field day with this info. :) It's a really valuable resource for planning of all kinds of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm 
AdminMama

I'm just glad I got the two page census form....and not the 28 pager that a friend got :wink:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm 
Veteran

I'm with you on this one Frank! Where it says start, I put 2 in the box.As for the rest of the form, I intend to exercise my 4th amendment right to privacy. I don't believe they can deprive any of us that right.

I do have to disagree with what you wrote in the "other" part though, I think you may be part American/ termite!!! :D :D

Len

Post subject: Re: Census Madness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
... the Forefathers of this country were right in what they penned to paper over 200 years ago.

Hey Frank,
That's why those forefathers included the census in the first draft of the constitution. It even predates Len's favorite amendment. :D

Seriously folks, participating in the census only benefits you, and your community. Not filling it out only lets others help themselves to your piece of the pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
Veteran

Tom, if I'm reading Frank's post correctly, he did not object to the first part of the form which is according to the constitutional foundations of the nation.

He did object to the race-based questions as do I. When decisions are made based off race, it is hard to call it anything other than racism.

I think I will write-in "American" in the blocks asking about race. That allows me to participate in the constitutional mandate while not supporting a reprehensible practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:56 pm 
Veteran

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/i ... e-form.php
This pretty much answers the "why" we need to answer. A similar answer is used for why they ask for age and sex-- money is distributed by area and projections are made.

It is worth noting that this question was first asked in 1790--certainly a time when I would say our forefathers were around....

Simply put, whether I personally think it is right or wrong it is certainly a question the archatects of our country intended to be asked- and filling in the census is the law.

I also filled mine in properly because I'd rather save the government the 60 bucks it takes for them to come out and visit--

Just my .02
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:51 pm 
Veteran

sex: rarely
race: Daytona 500

favorite quote: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Veteran

builder-bob wrote:

Bob

:D:D:D:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Veteran

builder-bob wrote:

Bob

That last answer could cost you :wink: :D :

" Respondents are required by law to answer all questions to the best of their ability.
What if I provide false information?

According to Title 13, Chapter 7, Subtitle 2, anyone who willfully gives an answer that is false could be fined up to $500. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 pm 
Veteran

Hey Tom I think wall street got most of the pie, and they were properly punished. :roll: Now they get to do it again.

Or were you referring to some other type of pie.Like crumb cake, less the cake.

Len

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 am 
Veteran

We got our form a few days ago.

I had a great teaching experience with the kids. We took out my old dog-eared book about the constitution and we read about Article I before we filled out the form. Got to work in a civics lesson for the boys. It was cool...

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 am 
Veteran

Tampa Tom wrote:

I had a great teaching experience with the kids. We took out my old dog-eared book about the constitution and we read about Article I before we filled out the form. Got to work in a civics lesson for the boys. It was cool...

That's Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am 
Veteran

Rockfish wrote:
Tampa Tom wrote:

That's Awesome!

The best part was that I told them that the personal info wouldn't be released until 2082 for genealogical research purposes. They both started trying to figure out how old they would be when the data is released. Dom will be 84 and Steven will be 81...

It was also a huge deal for Steven. He was jealous when he found that Dominic had been counted back in 2000 and he was born in 2001. "Why didn't you tell them I was coming?"

Classic...

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.