WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:21 pm 
Veteran

Seems amazing that we would even consider ethnicity in allocating services or money, doesn't it? Not what we're supposed to be about.

I had to run census data for a report - actually free research assistance for the prof - on ethnicity in the local area. Took a while to convince the big scholar that there were so many "Russians" beause Finland and half of Poland were under their heel at the time. I was able to point out that if the names were multiple-consonant jawbreakers, they were likely ethnic Poles, who could write or recognize their names in Latin characters, rather than the anglicized phonetic spellings of the Russians who wrote in Cyrillic. Ethnic Finns were pretty easy to recognize. 1910 census data, as I recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm 
Veteran

According to our Constitution, which is being conviniently ignored by our politicians, the only question you need to answer is how many people living in your home. That is the only question I will answer. I hope that you don't believe that any answers you give are kept private. This is your government we are talking about, they share information about YOU with everybody. They will soon be sharing any personal info of yours with the UN. The Census has one purpose, that is to enumerate the number of people in the country.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 am 
Veteran

There's more to this than you might be aware of. Good article on CNET http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20000859-38.html . One note: The long Form mentioned in the article no longer exists. Instead, it has been replaced by "The American Community Survey", which is sent out on a sample basis. http://www.census.gov/acs/www/index.html . It asks many more questions and is also required if you are unlucky enough to get one.