WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm 
Veteran

What was supposed to have been a long weekend turned into a lost week of PTO getting some work done on the WY house. 2 Fridays ago we had the window guys come out to install a new window in the bathroom and kitchen. Then I took the Saturday and Sunday to demo the walls around the tub and finish the plumbing and re-insulate the outside wall, then last Monday the tile guy showed up and what was supposed to have been a 3 day tile job turned into 5 days. :mad:

While the contractors where doing their things, I had 2 outside lights to remove and replace, (R&R), with new, 2 switches and switch plates to R&R, add a new circuit to the house and install a receptacle, 3 switches and 4 lights and run all the wire, and trouble shoot 2 other circuits. Then R&R a bathroom fan that was on it's last leg. Finally I had to rework the base boards and crown molding in the bathroom to fit to the new tile, so at least I got in some wwing.

On the down side, while trouble shooting the wiring problems, I got a couple of good jolts when I found that I had a HOT/Ground cross, that is power running down a ground wire, and I leaned in a little close to the garage door track. The first jolt hit and I thought I'd pinched a nerve in my back. The second one twiched my whole body and I realized real quick I had a problem with crossing a second circuit. I quickly tracked down that one and killed the breaker and all was well after that. Later that day, while tacking another errant circuit, my 3 step ladder, that I hadn't properly leveled on an un-even floor, shifted and I lost my balance. I hit on my R foot and the knee popped loudly and it looks like I may have torn either the ACL or outer maniscus. Gonna be getting an MRI in a week or so to see for sure. I can still walk on it well enough, but I have lost some range of motion and it gets stiff if I don't keep it moving.

So, after a week of that, I'm sore, beat up, and broke, but we have a nice shower, more light and a better understanding of the rest of the electrical problems with the house.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:26 pm 
Veteran

Hey Frank,

Ouch! :(
Sorry to hear about the fall. Judging from your description and the fact that you can walk on it with restricted motion, I'm going to bet on the torn meniscus. Take it easy and heal properly.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 pm 
AdminMama

Frank, take it from someone who has had 3 knee surgeries.......take it easy, go to the Dr., and listen to the Dr. If you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the Dr., don't be afraid to change Dr's.

A torn meniscus is not the end of the world (three for me), nor is a torn ACL. You'll be back on both of your legs in no time.

Keep us informed, OK?

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 pm 
Veteran

Thanks guys. I've had my ACL replaced in the left knee and had 2 maniscal tears on that one too. This is the first time I've hurt the right knee. Tom, I too am thinking it's just a partial tear of the outer maniscus. I was walking within a few minutes of the fall, and today didn't even bother with the ACE Wrap. The pain is much more localized on the outer side of the knee and I'm walking fine. With luck, this'll be one of those things that'll fix it'self. I'm doing light duty, I work at a desk anyway, and sticking to the meds the Dr. prescribed. No running or jumping for awhile, a couple of weeks anyway. I'll survive I'm sure.

Thanks again for the advice and warm thoughts.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm 
Veteran

carn IP, I hope you'll be back up and running real soon !!! Knee problems are not something I've had any experience with, (other than just having them)....

Now, shoulders, rotator cuffs, ankles, wrists, fibula's, tibula's, or pheochromocytomas (sp), call me, we'll talk. Oh, and broken collar bones..both.

Can I say......I feel your pain !!!

Like others have said, PLEASE, follow doctor's orders.

Get well soon !!!

Skyrider