WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speaking of storms
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 pm 
Veteran

The central east coast states are going to get slammed this weekend with heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions. I can recall if we have any members in the affected area but if so stay safe and get out now to get that bread and milk. So far it seem it will miss New England and stay south.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:23 pm 
Veteran

York, PA is supposed to get between 12 to 18 inches....Yay!...can you hear my excitement.... I cant wait until my boys are older...so they can shovel!! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm 
Veteran

We're expecting about 2', but hasn't started yet here at work. LOML said it started at home. We're supposed to have a Super Bowl party on Sunday, so I know what I'm going to be doing on Saturday :) Got to get everything cleared out so the people can park. Hopefully the road crews will get the roads cleared or no party. You know how the coaches always hedge their bets "it's a game day decision". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 pm 
Veteran

Started to snow down RT 270 in Montgomery County around 11:00 am. Fought the traffic back north and now at 2:30 it is starting to stick to the cars, trees and roofs in Frederick County. They say we'll get 18-24 inches. Everyone stay safe!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:33 pm 
Veteran

The less the better! Hoping Philly gets the low end of 6-12! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 pm 
Veteran

WarrenJ wrote:
Started to snow down RT 270 in Montgomery County around 11:00 am. Fought the traffic back north and now at 2:30 it is starting to stick to the cars, trees and roofs in Frederick County. They say we'll get 18-24 inches. Everyone stay safe!!

I heard on the news just now, that y'all will get 58" ! :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm 
Veteran

All we've got is rain and tornado warnings. Sounds like you folks up north are going to get the worst of it. I promise, TT and I won't gloat :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 pm 
Veteran

It's been snowing here since about 11. They're talking 18 to 24 inches, and I'm not one of the happy ones. I've got the Escape and the F-150 parked at the end of the driveway, so I only have to dig about 8 ft.

I'm moving to Florida!! :)

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:17 pm 
Veteran

Larry Norton wrote:

I'm moving to Florida!! :)

Come on down and bring your thong :shock: :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 pm 
Veteran

reelinron wrote:
The less the better! Hoping Philly gets the low end of 6-12! :D

Upgraded to 12-18.................... :mad: :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm 
Veteran

Is Very Thankful that my father in law gave us a snowblower. its a Great shape MTD 26" cut 8HP and it works SUPER..... He got it from a neighbor who's older son bought it at an auction and didnt see the auger transfer case was blown apart. He thought my FIL would be able to weld or fix it but that wasnt possible. So it sat in his garage in the corner for about 2 years. He had offered to buy it for 100 bucks from the neighbors son and he didnt want to sell it.... so almost 2 yrs later he said keep it its not worth anything to him. So my dear ol' FIL bought about 150 worth of parts and fixed and well it was in my Garage when i got home today. I cleared the driveway of about 3-4 inches of wet snow in about 30-45 minutes where it would have taken hours before. He just gave me the greatest gift of actually having time to play with my son in the snow instead of being whipped from shoveling! I owe him a HUGE THANK YOU and we are offering to pay for the parts but he's stubborn and most likely wont take it but we will repay him someway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 pm 
Veteran

JeremyW wrote:
Is Very Thankful that my father in law gave us a snowblower. its a Great shape MTD 26" cut 8HP and it works SUPER..... He got it from a neighbor who's older son bought it at an auction and didnt see the auger transfer case was blown apart. He thought my FIL would be able to weld or fix it but that wasnt possible. So it sat in his garage in the corner for about 2 years. He had offered to buy it for 100 bucks from the neighbors son and he didnt want to sell it.... so almost 2 yrs later he said keep it its not worth anything to him. So my dear ol' FIL bought about 150 worth of parts and fixed and well it was in my Garage when i got home today. I cleared the driveway of about 3-4 inches of wet snow in about 30-45 minutes where it would have taken hours before. He just gave me the greatest gift of actually having time to play with my son in the snow instead of being whipped from shoveling! I owe him a HUGE THANK YOU and we are offering to pay for the parts but he's stubborn and most likely wont take it but we will repay him someway.

My neighbor bought an MTD which we share, I house and repair it, she bought it. I love it. I only use it for serious snow though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 pm 
AdminMama

Well, I sure won't gloat that the storm went up the east coast--I feel for you guys. Be careful of the shoveling, guys--none of us are as young as we used to be :lol:

I worked 15 hours today at work (whew, I'm bushed). I received the most delightful call from the neighbor's son....he begged me to allow him to plow my driveway. Hey, I couldn't turn him down, could I?????? It sure was nice to pull into the driveway and to not have much snow on it--thanks, Jay :D :D :D

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:53 am 
Veteran

22 hours later, now it's getting serious. I had a rough night last night, my furnace kept making weird noises but it's OK now. The wind was howling, but it's died down now and the snow is really coming down.

But, I look at it this way. At least, I don't have to cut the grass!! :D :D

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:17 am 
Veteran

We are getting hammered. We had 23"over an hour ago. The snow is suposed to go on all day. The projection is another 5-10 more inches. The poor puppies were really confused when I opened the patio door to let them out and the snow was over a foot over their heads. :confused: I had to clean a spot for them to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:35 am 
Veteran

I just noticed that my neighbors phone and power lines were down across his back yard. My phone line is down too. I went out with a long wood pole and knocked the snow off the electric line so it won't come down too.

Bob D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 am 
Veteran

For all you snow shovelers out there, here's a nifty new shovel with a wheel - http://www.wovel.com//default.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 am 
Veteran

19" and still snowing. I just made raisen bread with my daughters, watching the snow rise along with the dough! :-D

2 o'clock is snow blower start up time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm 
Veteran

24" and counting! :shock: Broke the auger drive belt on the snow blower :mad: but I have a spare :D It'll take abuot a half hour to install. Meanwhile, the snow's still comimg down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 am 
Veteran

Yesterday JimH asked me "How must snow did you get?
My answer was "None, only rail".
Jims reply, "Wish I had came now last week".

I'm only 444 miles from Larry's house.
Born and raised Charles County.

Sorry Guys!

Did I say? "I don't miss the SNOW"

WWASCAUX#1/WWAMDAUX#11