WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: painting question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 pm 
Veteran

Hi all,

I'm going to repaint the inside of my house. All of the walls are currently flat white on drywall. Is a prime coat necessary or can I just paint over it?

Thanks,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 am 
Veteran

Painting alone should be fine depending on what color you are using for a final coat, though you may need two coats no matter if you prime or not.... if the wall color is very dark or bright you may want to use a tinted primer. If the area you are painting is very dirty or greasy (a kitchen for example) priming helps. No matter what you do, spend the extra 2-5 bucks per gallon for a high quality paint-- it will increase your chances of getting single coat coverage and will be much nicer to use (easier to roll) Also don't bother taping, but instead pony up the dough on a high quality tapered brush (LOML likes Purdy 1 1/4 tapered) and take your time cutting in. LOML and I have done a LOT of painting over the last 7 years (three houses + a friend's house) and she is better at cutting in so she does that and I roll.

I hope this helps
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am 
Veteran

Depends on how long it has been since the last paint job. If it has been over 5 years you will want to at lest wash the walls with soap and water. If you have to patch or mud some cracks, you need to prime those spots. (I use "Kilz" for primer)
I'm a tape-er! I get in a hurry and a bit messy at times and the tape saves lot of clean-up for me. I do the cutting in and Goodoldwhatshername does the rolling.
We painted the living room dark red over a coat of yellow and it took 4 coats for good coverage. I agree with Lawerence that the extra $ for good paint is well worth it in the long run.
Just my two cents...

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:47 am 
Veteran

Just one tip on rolling. Maintain the same pressure for all strokes, especially important (and difficult to do ) on ceilings. If the pressure varies it will be noticeable after drying. DAMHIK. :shock: :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm 
Veteran

FYI I have painted drywall for years without priming with good results.

However I ran into a problem once. We peeled wallpaper off one of our bathrooms and decided that we wanted smooth the walls down and then paint it. The walls before were textured. Well I had some patching to do and then sanded the walls smooth. The walls looked find so I wiped them down several time and vacuumed.

The paint refused to stick. After it dried I could grab it and peel it off in chunks. After several tries I finally asked the guys at the paint store what was going on. It turns off the the drywall compound has left a film of dust and the paint couldn't get through it to bind to the wall. I put a primer on the wall and all was well.

Why didn't I have problems before? The explanation was the textured walls did not have the dust on them and the texture helped the paint stick to the wall.

Go figure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:28 pm 
Veteran

What DennisS said, many don't know this.

Painted for the first 10 summers of my teaching career and also in college. I have come to believe that painting one coat of paint is a waste of time and paint. I always put on two, (Ceilings too) and remember, it may show diffferently in a few months. My two cents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:23 pm 
Veteran

Wow! Lots of good advice.

Thanks for the replys.

Rich L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 am 
AdminDude

I have just spent 5 horrible days painting, Yes the Condo with Rules from HeQQ

DO NOT BUY LOWES PAINT DON"T DO IT. the owners bought it I have never used it. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took two coats to cover THREE to look decent. so figure this out.

Three coats on a wall then edge the ceiling (wanted a white ceiling) so you had 3 more coats. then edge above the baseboard so again you add three coats multiply that by 4. then add 3 coats for the ceiling your total is_____ total times I had to go over the same room

the worst wall covering I have EVER USED in my life.

oh I primed the walls first with bullyeye 123 so this was over WHITE

Use Ameritone use ICI use Sherman Williams but don't use..........

I'm done now; oh yah I just got home 1 hour ago so yes it is very fresh in my mind the paints pathetic coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:34 am 
Veteran

Mango,
What color were you painting? Believe it or not, painting a darker color over a lighter one is harder to cover than vice versa. DAMHIKT
It took 4 coats of dark red over yellow for us. where as 2 coats of yellow over medium blue was enough.

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm 
Veteran

Spray it with a big spray gun with lots of "AIR"
:D :D But make sure your not home when the wife shows up :D :D :D "OR YOUR DEAD"
Good luck
ps if you do spray ?? Make sure you post lots of pictures :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:18 pm 
Veteran

It so happens that I have a Lowes near by. After your ordeal Mango, I think I'll spring for a better brand. :)

It also happens that I do have a good sized paint sprayer that a guy who used to do a lot of house flipping gave me. The ceilings are that popcorn stuff and in a couple of rooms they're quite high; so I thought I'd just spray them before doing the walls. The house is pretty much vacant and the carpets are older than dirt so I figure it's a safe way to go. Should keep me safe from "wife agro" :)