WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am 
Veteran

I need a bit of encouragement today.

Here's the deal. In Texas, high school students must pass the TAKS tests in order to graduate high school. I have been tutoring a student in my free time who finished high school last year without her diploma. She works extremely hard and has a great attitude. Her issue is that she has only been in the States for a few years and, while I've never met anyone who has worked harder to learn the language, it's just tough. She and her sisters left Mexico to avoid abuse and impending death...truly.

Her English has improved drastically but the tests are very difficult even without a language barrier. I've got her through three of them, including the writing exam.

But I got her scores back today and she failed the math by 3 questions. I haven't even called her yet to tell her. She can try again, but I really feel like I've let her down. I just hope she doesn't give up.

I realize this isn't nearly as big a deal as some of the things people ask for support and prayers for. I'm just sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:16 pm 
Veteran

Hey Scot,

You and the young lady have all of the encouragement that I can muster. The good news, is that math is one skill that responds very well to tutoring. I had a math tutor when I was in junior high school, and it made a tremendous difference in how I performed in high school.

More than any other subject, math is a conceptual challenge. Sometimes more than one perspective is needed to get the concept through. Don't feel let down if she needs a different point of view on the subject. You have started her on the most important journey of her life: Learning how to learn.

Well done.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:18 pm 
Veteran

Scotman, that is truly an incredible thing you have done already by tutoring and helping her along the way. I can only imagine its a bit like teaching a child to ride a bike... You know its not easy, but they are excited to learn, so you give them training wheels. The training wheels teach them to balance and protect them from falling. But in the end you must take the training wheels off and let them fall a few times, encourage them to continue until they really get it. All i am trying to say here is that You are her training wheels getting her pointed in the right direction and even though she fell once now you have to Encourage her to get back up and try again, walking away and not learning to not fall is not an option!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 pm 
Veteran

It's that danged New Math, I just know it. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone. :roll:

You both have my utmost respect and encouragement to keep at it. I know it's tough, but most things in life that are worth doing are tough. Shoot, if it were easy, anyone could do it. So keep at it, she'll get there and when she does, she'll know she's really accomplished something worthwhile. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:23 pm 
Veteran

Is it the math or the language that's doing it? Math is a language of its own, where practice and repetition will work well.

I worked with some Russian kids a few years back, and after two years the lowest were in the 80th percentile in the Stanfords. No "second language" approach, though. Given they were illiterate in Russian and English, why waste the time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:01 pm 
Veteran

Keep encouraging her and now you can concentrate on the math.You are doing a good thing also could use some encouragement so just remember the words of Adam Clayton Powel: " keep the faith, baby, keep the faith !" If she has passed three of the four parts it is down hill from here on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:34 pm 
Veteran

Thanks everyone. I just took it really hard this morning when I got the scores. We have some kids who do nothing and are able to get by. This kid works harder than anyone.

I've been an educator for a number of years now. I've always taken it really personally when I don't find success. Really personally...to a fault. I've been working with her for a long time.

My test coordinator who brought in the scores this morning knew it hit me hard. She was just carrying on about the other stuff going on and I couldn't think. I just told her if she wanted to talk to me she'd have to come back by my office another time. LOL I'm really pretty pathetic.

I'll get her through this. I was just hoping I could take her diploma to her this morning.

Thanks again everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm 
Veteran

Well you done a good thing Scotman, don't be down about it, you have more opportunity to help the girl assimilate in our culture. I'm glad to know ya. cause I could not do it. I suck at math. without my calcutor 2+2 in is jeapardy :-D :-D

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm 
Veteran

Scot, your being so upset is another of the traits that make you a great educator. Don't let it get you down, keep your chin up, if you keep a positive attitude toward her success it will make it easier for her to continue.

Best of luck and prayers to both you and your students, they are truly blessed to have you.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:25 am 
Veteran

Scot, you are doing a wonderful job. The young lady is too.

You know the road is rough, with all of the turns and bumps. You also know that those bumpy, curvy roads, will eventually get us to the destination.

Does she like to cook? Every one that cooks, has to know math. Would that maybe help her, and make it a little easier on your kind and gentle heart?

Trisha

~First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, & a chance to start fresh again-JSM
~Welcome to all new members! & welcome back to the others!
~He is most powerful who has power over himself - Seneca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:50 am 
Veteran

Well... all I can tell you is that (hopefully) the same qualities that make her work so hard will continue to get her closer to her goal. I'm sorry things haven't worked out as you'd both have liked; just remember that though it looks like your challenge has hit a wall... it is really just a speed bump. You both should hold your chin up high-- this is a setback, not a failure and I'm quite sure you'll be posting a passing score report in the future.
Good luck, and please know we are all rooting for her
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 pm 
Veteran

Hey, man, you guys will make a big breakthrough based on both of your work ethics. Rock on, dude, and best of luck to you and the young lady.

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm 
Veteran

"Stand and Deliver" -- Both of you should see it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:59 pm 
Veteran

Don't beat yourself up, Scot. You're doing an incredible thing! With your help, she'll get through it.

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 pm 
Veteran

Scot, that's what it's all about being a great teacher. You work from your heart and make every effort to make sure that your students get the best you can give them.

In the end that's all any of us can hope for is to give our best and hope that it will do it...

Jimmy

Jess, John T, Verna
Dan Lanucek, Daddy Gloves, Yank,
GG, Gene