WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am 
Veteran

Last night, we must have broken a record. Easily 150 kids!

One guy came up with his six and three year old kids. He thanked me and the neighbors for having a friendly neighborhood. Turns out, the guy lives about a mile away in a pretty tough neighborhood where he would never let his kids go trick-or-treating. He's been coming to our neighborhood for the past six years because we are so friendly...

That made my night!

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 am 
Veteran

well we had bout 6 or 8 maybe if we're lucky. I live in a Small development maybe 30 houses, and maybe 6 or 8 homes have kids ...not real sure just a guess but we are at the begginning of the development and guess they didnt come up our road. Anyway when i lived in my townhouse we got hundreds of kids. people would truck'em in 2/3's of the treaters werent residents of the neighborhood. all the well its worth seeing the smiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 am 
Veteran

Hey Tom,

We live in a inner city condo, so we don't get trick-or-treaters, but the local businesses all set up for them on our street. I dropped Kris off at a downtown theater in the afternoon, and when I got back, there was a parade of ghouls, goblins, princesses and super heroes up and down both sides of the street. It was so steady that I had to have one of the adults stop traffic for me so that I could turn into the garage. Some of the businesses really get into the spirit (sorry) of the event by dressing up their store fronts and their employees as well.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:48 am 
AdminMama

About 12 or so. My neighborhood is a well-kept surburb-type neighborhood, with a mix of young couples with babes in arms to teenagers and on up to retired folks. There's no sidewalks, so speeders are definitely frowned on, especially on this night.

One year we had trick-or-treaters seemingly trucked in from elsewhere and I ran out of candy. So, I now make sure I buy a couple of bags of Dum-Dums suckers, in addition to some other candy.

I get a kick out of young neighbors bringing their little ones who can barely walk and can't quite get the "thank you's" out. Cute as all get out :D :D

There was one little boy dressed up as a "flagger" for a construction site--complete with reflective vest, name tag, hard hat, and flag. He had to be convinced by his parents that he couldn't stay and play with Speckles all night :lol: :lol:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 am 
Veteran

5 kids here in the 'hood.

And one of them was mine. :-)

Needless to say, each one got loaded up by the residents.

Dan won't need to get me to buy candy for him for at least 3 days ;-)

---Nailer---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 pm 
Veteran

We had 45°f and 50 kids plus or minus. No snow this year.

We were handing out frozen popsicles and MAN what a hit they were. They were the clear plastic juice ones you just throw in the freezer. "Ice Pops" "Flavor Ice" not sure what name you guys go by in your town. Here it is 45° and these kids go FLYING down our lawn - "MOM they got POPSICLES!"

We just laughed all night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm 
Veteran

We had zero,zip,nada, zilch Trick or Treaters. Had the lights on, the candy ready and my wife and I spent a very quiet evening together. I love to see the little kids dressed up too! :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:45 pm 
Veteran

We don't get anyone at the house - we are out in the country. We usually go into Manchester and help LOML's cousin pass out candy at his restaurant. The restaurant is closed and he uses it as a catering facility. He has plenty of time to really do up the decorations and he dresses as something scary, he has a new setup every year. The kids (and BIG kids) love it and we get to see a bunch of cute kids dressed up. I think the most creative this year was the four kids dressed up as Mt Rushmore. It was one costume and they had a time navigating with four pairs of legs! Another good one was a little girl that was dressed as "Flo - The Progressive Insurance Lady". I recognized her costume from down the street - she even looked a little like Flo - except for being only waist high. Hundreds of kids and lots of fun!

WWA-MICH-AUX #5
Official "Welcome Wagon" for the SEMIWW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 pm 
Veteran

We had a lot 70 or so last year only about 7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:08 pm 
Veteran

We used to get quite a few.....50-70 or so but this year (even tho the weather was fantastic) we had 10-12 and 2 of them were our own grandkids!
They have a big get-to-gether at the "Cop Shop" and the mall for alot of the kids. And being Friday night, there were football games and I'm sure alot of private partys to go to for both the adults and the kids.
The good part was....We didn't have a blizzard, and I get to eat a BUNCH of the small Snickers bars! :D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:47 pm 
Veteran

I live in a mixed neighborhood such as VERNA described. My 2 grandkids were the only kids that showed up. My light was the only one on in my block and being in the middle probably accounts.

Rochester had an interesting program sponsored by a local dental practice. The dentists are paying $1.00 a pound for candy turned in to them and will ship what is turned in to our servicemen in Southwest and South Asia. I guess this is a broad campaign across the country and seems like a win win win situation.

Left over Snickers bars in the freezer will be a temptation for months to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:48 pm 
Veteran

I had exactly the same number of kids as I had candy. Of course the lights went out after that. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm 
Veteran

Five ! Since we live in a rural area that is mostly Amish and retired non amish we don't get any except for the grandkids and one family from our church. But my wife still buys lots of chocolate candy for the trick-or-treaters. I wonder why she buys so much every year when we have so few kids and so much left over every year. You would think that she would learn that we only have a few kids come buy! :D :-D :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:15 pm 
Veteran

40 or 50 and then we went out to a friends house so I don't know how many after that (the basket of candy we left on the front porch was empty when we returned though!)

What amazed me most was the number of older kids (13-17 or so) that were out... I mean... if you are old enough to drive to the trick or treating site you are probably too old to trick or treat!! Heck even a couple of college age kids were out... If LOML wan't out running the kids around (her turn this year) I would have probably gotten a frown for giving extra candy to the coeds :-D

Overall a fun time... and the kids made out like bandits... and LOML and I of couse had to "inspect" their bags

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 am 
Veteran

We had 15 to 20. Really a slow year for us. Very suburban area, but we were the only ones on our end of the street with lights on. So I guess most folks went to the other side of the subdivision.

We took our little one out early to a couple of the neighbors. Then we, she and I, stayed in to hand out candy. My wife took our 8 year old out. We had a good time and still have a lot of treats. Maybe we will save them till next year to give out.... yeah right.

See "Halloween"

Lauras first Halloween in costume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:08 pm 
Veteran

None - seems you dont get many on a mountain in a caribbean country???

huhm, whoda thunk?

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 pm 
Veteran

A BIG FAT ZERO.

I don't participate in that at my age. I don't even know if there were any kids in the neighborhood going around.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:43 pm 
Veteran

Don't know we weren't at home. We go to our daughters house for halloween, they live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids. must have got a hundred there. we even have a bucket of beer for the adult kids. :D

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 pm 
Veteran

One. The churches, and other places, have fun activities for the youngins.
Jiggy

~First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, & a chance to start fresh again-JSM
~Welcome to all new members! & welcome back to the others!
~He is most powerful who has power over himself - Seneca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 pm 
Veteran

We get about a hundred each year, this year was a little light since the rain started rolling in at 7:30 or so. The little kids come first so most of them made it which is what it's all about anyway. After 7:30 it mostly groups of older kids who barely dress and are just hawking candy!