WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:11 pm 
Veteran

Next lot of my non smoking benefit... thought I'd treat myself to a few books I've had my eye on. I think it's still three to arrive.

Here's what I got so far

Ray

ps Any other ideas for books for me to get. (Don't be too suprised if I say I've already got it... my collection is extensive but never complete)

Last edited by turnpike on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:12 am 
Veteran

I have Andy Rae's Furniture book. Excellent.

3 others that I like are Gary Rogowski, Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery (Complements Andy's book very well ); The Woodwrights Shop, Roy Underhill; and Building Period Furniture by Glen Huey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the recommendation Dennis... suprisingly I've not got anything by Taige Frid yet...
I've just put an order in on Amazon for the TF teaches... Volume 1&2 in one Volume.

Hi Gene,
Thanks for the idea of Gary Rogowski, Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery. I got it last Christmas.

Not sure I want more on period furniture at the moment although I would like to get my hands on more about the English Arts and Crafts movement... there's plenty of stuff about the American but finding books on the English is rather harder.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:07 am 
Veteran

I've put the book by Huey you recommended in my 'buy later' pile on Amazon Gene.. it does look nice. Also there is another book of almost identical title by him which is going for £0.01 plus postage! Think I might just afford that one first :-D

Ray

ps I just ordered the penny book... 'last of the big spenders' - that's me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:37 pm 
Veteran

Another complete illustrated book by Taunton is dealing with hardware installation, hinges and such, I forget the title but a good reference book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:05 pm 
Veteran

hebertoo wrote:
Another complete illustrated book by Taunton is dealing with hardware installation, hinges and such, I forget the title but a good reference book.

Yep, that entire series is great in my opinion. :wink:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:24 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
turnpike wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation Dennis...

Quite welcome, Ray. I'm eager to hear your opinion of his writing style. As I said, that alone is worth the price of books I think. I inherited three volumes from my Father-in-law or I would have overlooked them myself.

Volumes 1 & 2 arrived today havn't had much of a chance to more than skim so far but looks really good.
I thought I'd check out volume 3 on Amazon UK tonight and found the following review:
Reviewer wrote:

This isn't as valuable a book as his first book.

Now that's no real criticism, because the first book is excellent and no mean target to reach again. My 4 star rating is simply because I have to make some sort of distinction.

It's hard to understand this book. Simply put, it's a list of designs (with enough detail to build them) of furniture pieces that very few people would ever want to make. Each design is taken to pieces, the design decisions are analysed,and there's a lot of discussion about why he chose to make them the way he did.
- but they're still ugly, and I wouldn't have any of them in my house !

This certainly isn't a book of designs to build. Neither is it a book of instructional manufacture techniques. My respect for Tage Frid is as a teacher of technique, not a designer, and I simply don't like the designs he offers here. Maybe it's an issue of fashion ? This is furniture of the American '50s and '60s, in a strange craftsman-made Eames crossover. Perhaps if you like Dean Martin and Martinis, then you'd like the furniture too.

Is this a useful book ? Yes, but only to a small audience. If you want to think very carefully about subtle design choices and how they affect ergonomics and long term usefulness of a piece of furniture, then this is a good book. The comparisons between the dozen different ways to make a pull-out table are a good example - few other texts will show more than one of these, let alone compare them, they just describe "an extendable table" and leave you thinking they're all equally good.

On the whole, I find the first book of this series to be one of the best cabinetry teaching books around, but this one is strangely lacking. It's useful (to some readers), but not so widely useful that I'd happily recommend it to others. If you want guidance on design, then I suggest you read Krenov first.

So do you agree? Is volume 3 not as useful as volumes 1 & 2 or do you think it's the best thing he wrote?

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 pm 
Veteran

Next installment.....

Still want to know whether to buy Frid Vol. 3?

Thanks for the other tips Gene. I'll consider them.

Still three more books on order, one not directly woodwork, ... and 10 more in my 'buy later' file on Amazon.. may buy them ... may not.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
Was re-arranging my library today and ran across a couple other books you may not have or might want:

Beds; Jeff Miller (used this one to build the "throne bed" earlier this year) Very useful for structural advise.
Decorative Woodcarving; Jeremy Williams (Mango sent me this one ). Useful in technique and sharpening tips for those funny tools carvers use.

Didn't realise that I've already got the Jeremy Willliams. :oops: