WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hatch Chili Festival
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:04 pm 
Veteran

Well, we have had over 2 solid months of 100F days this year and are on track to break the record of 69 100F days in Austin. I haven't been out in the shop since early June when it was still in the 90's.

So, since I can't work in the shop, I focus on other things like Bat Fest and . . . . . The Hatch Chili Festival!

For a couple weeks every August we get to enjoy and celebrate these wonderful chilies from Hatch New Mexico. Lawrence, I'd be interested in your take on this!

The Hatch chilies are a mild and loaded with flavor. I think it is my favorite chili out there. HEB & Central Market (grocery stores) have samples of various hatch chili recipes. They also sell freshly roasted chilies that are roasted in front of the store as you walk in. This happens every year in August.

Here are some chili facts that are interesting.

http://www.hatchchilefest.com/index.php

Quote:
# One fresh medium-sized green chile pod has as much Vitamin C as six oranges.

# One teaspoon of dried red chile powder has the daily requirements of Vitamin A.

# Hot chile peppers burn calories by triggering a thermodynamic burn in the body, which speeds up the metabolism.

# Teas & lozenges are made with chile peppers for the treatment of a sore throat.

# Capsaicinoids, the chemical that make chile peppers hot, are used in muscle patches for sore and aching muscles.

# Chile peppers are relatives of tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants, all belonging to the nightshade family.

# The color extracted from very red chile pepper pods, oleoresin, is used in everything from lipstick to processed meats.

# There are 26 known species of chile pepper, five of which are domesticated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:46 pm 
Veteran

Amen, I would like to make it one day in perspn, and bring back a tow sack full of roasted one!

BTW, New Mexico State (New Mexico aggies) were doing some work on using chile powder for killing termites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm 
Veteran

I've got a bag o' roasted chilis in the fridge right now-- I made a mean salsa with them over the weekend and they were great
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:17 pm 
Veteran

Hey Rockfish,

I love this time of year because the chilies are so abundant in the farmers' markets. We just bought some pasilla , poblano, jalpeno and serrano to make marinade for grilling pork chops, making tomatillo salsa, and later on some carnitas. Yummm!

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
Veteran

Still have one frozen bag left in the freezer. These are the best chilies I've ever had. Spent some time in Las Cruces, NM and found a great little resturant in Mesilla Park, NM, they make a mean green chilie corn chowder there. Sorry, but it's been a while and I don't remember the name, but it's close to the Billy the kid jail.

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm 
Veteran

Here is a recipe that I really like. It is a great dip.

Quote:
Green Chile Guacamole

2 - 8 oz. blocks cream cheese
1 large garlic pod
handful of cilantro leaves
1 or more pounds hatch chiles- roasted.
2 table spoons or more to taste fajita seasoning.

Take most of char off chile peppers , remove seeds and stem. put all ingredients in a food processor and process until it looks, or resembles guacamole( couple minutes).

Serve with your best chips or crackers. No one can stop eating this stuff!! make lots!!

Recipe submitted by:
C. Walton
Abilene, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 pm 
Veteran

Hey Rockfish,

That sounds tasty, but how can you call it guacamole without avocados? :confused:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Rockfish,

That sounds tasty, but how can you call it guacamole without avocados? :confused:

Tom

Interesting point Tom. Texas can have some unique ways of defining things. When I moved here I saw some properties listed as "waterfront." When I visited the property I asked where the water was. They pointed to a narrow dry creak bed and said it is wet during Spring. :D

So, if you can have waterfront property without water, you can have guacamole without avocados. At least it is green. ;)