WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:03 pm 
Veteran

I made twenty four cherry cabinet doors for my daughter's new kitchen. There were no more than two of the same width some were 24 inches high and some 35 inches high. I made them all the right width but one inch short on the height. Two days of planning,cutting, glueing, sanding, and drilling holes for the cup hinges all wasted! This is after spending three weeks trying to find some one to fix some drain gutters at the farm where I am care taker. I have called over ten contractors and have yet to find any that will even come look at the job. Two have said they would be out and look at them but never showed. Plus I have spent two days trying to find an Amish contractor that has a new machine for making seamless gutter " over by Big Prairie" .I have drove over forty miles and still haven't been able to find any one who knows exactly where he lives. The first time it was the day of the Amish school house picnic and no one was around. The second and last time I found three different Amish places with new trailers with ladder racks, but again no one around! Next week things have to get better!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:15 pm 
Veteran

wow sorry to hear that happened to you.

If its any consolation, Ive done the same thing. even inmy shop.

I made alot of drawers to narrow and I had to figure out how to get them to work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 am 
Veteran

It has happened to all of us.
I was making five, floor to ceiling tall book shelves that would stand side by side across an entire wall. After carefully measuring, I made all of them 1" too wide.
They wouldn't fit.
I had too remake the middle one narrower to make it fit. It looked like a mistake when I was finished. :confused:
Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 am 
Veteran

RonTeti wrote:
wow sorry to hear that happened to you.

If its any consolation, Ive done the same thing. even in my shop build.

I made alot of drawers to narrow and I had to figure out how to get them to work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 pm 
Veteran

I really try to double check things and find ways to verify, and while it helps, mistakes happen. It’s all part of growing up I guess. Don’t sweat it Don.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:38 pm 
Veteran

Don, how about a contrasting wood for the 1 inch shortness? Or, try putting them on ebay or one of the sites on your computer?

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:45 pm 
Veteran

This doesn't happen much for me! Second brainstorm! How about a very fine v groove across the top or bottom and then glue the 1 inch piece to that? Just a thought.

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 pm 
Veteran

I ended up glueing a strip in the cabinets to make the hole smaller, but it looks like a repair. Definately not up to my usual standards.I guess I spoiled my daughter by the cabinets I made for her kitchen when she lived in Jeffersonville, and the wall of cabinets I made for her dinning room a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:13 am 
Veteran

Don

Thats a good idea it wont match exactly but being Cherry Im guessing it will eventually.

Did you put a bead around the inside the face frames?

I didnt think of it before I read your solution but that might make it look like it was designed that way.

Either way I think she will apreaciate your time and effort and really wont even notice the additional piece as we are more critical of our work then other others are.