WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Burgled
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 am 
Veteran

Last week my shop was burgled. It's a tin Shed, and they brought cordless tools and took a sheet of tin off and in they went.
I know most of the perps that do this are drug-addled losers finding things for a fence so they can get more drugs, but I'm over it.
I'm insured so that's good, but not as good as having your own stuff.

Thanks for reading my rant.
eric

Post subject: Re: Burgled
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:19 am 
Veteran

That sux! I know the feeling of having been violated in such a way.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am 
Veteran

I agree, mos of the petty theft and buglaries in the states are drug related also. in some area, we cannot keep pole grounds on as they get cut off as high as someone can reach for the copper. Most of it is opioid and meth problems. its brutal.

No easy fix to the problem.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 am 
Veteran

We get that occasionally in my small farming community. Often small farm equipment - tractors, tools, a house break in, etc. Doesn't happen often since nearly everyone here is armed to the teeth, and the perps know it. Been more than one shot in the attempt, or held at gunpoint till the Sheriff/Police arrive.

I know Australia is very strict regarding firearms, but that is not the case here - with the exception of certain States that have heavily restricted firearms.

In case you're wondering about that, MS is one of about 12 States that does not require any kind of permits or licensing for firearms, and provides legal protections for citizens who must resort to firearms to protect themselves and their property. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
In case you're wondering about that, MS is one of about 12 States that does not require any kind of permits or licensing for firearms, and provides legal protections for citizens who must resort to firearms to protect themselves and their property. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Here in WA state you do need a permit to conceal carry, however from what I understand open carry does not require a permit. Long guns do not require any license or permit, either. There is a mandatory waiting period without a concealed carry permit plus buying side arms (legally that is) must be through a licensed dealer. And the piece is also registered in your name. It would be a small price to pay, if it had worked. We still have shootings on average every day.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 pm 
Veteran

I have had service trucks broken into and stuff stolen, as well as off of job sights.
One time they cleaned the truck mostly out leaving only the ladders and a locked box too heavy to carry.
Insurance was extremely expensive and you had to prove what was stolen, so it all came out of my pocket. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Gene wrote:

Here in WA state you do need a permit to conceal carry, however from what I understand open carry does not require a permit. Long guns do not require any license or permit, either. There is a mandatory waiting period without a concealed carry permit plus buying side arms (legally that is) must be through a licensed dealer. And the piece is also registered in your name. It would be a small price to pay, if it had worked. We still have shootings on average every day.

I know. Used to live there. World of difference between WA & MS. There's more people live in Metro Seattle than in the entire State of MS, so that accounts for much of it.

Private sales/trades etc. are no different than any other private transaction, unless the purchaser is not a resident, but that's a Federal law. The State doesn't get involved at all.

The only paperwork at a dealer is the Fed form 4473 (NICS). Fill it out, pay, take it home. No wait, no hassle.

NRA-ILA has a pretty good rundown of the firearm laws for all the States, although it is not always up to date. Nor is it a substitute for knowing the actual laws. :)
https://www.nraila.org/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 pm 
Veteran

Sorry to hear that Eric. Never had tools stolen, but someone cut my central air conditioner compressor unit at my cottage. I'm sure he got a few bucks for scrap, but let me in a pickle!

Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm 
Veteran

Funnily enough, that is what the stole in the end, 5 Long arms and Ammunition.
They were loading up on cordless tools and other items when they cracked the gun safe and all other stuff was dropped.
I figure as I'm a guest in this country I will abide by their laws, If I was still in Vermont it would be a different story. So the rifles and Shotguns were all registered.
The plus is that its easy to prove they were mine...not that that is a plus really.
eric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 am 
Veteran

Thats to bad buddy, One thing I hate more than a liar is a thief.

I can't wrap my head around how someone thinks its ok to just take something someone worked hard to get and paid for then they just take it...

I just dont get it