WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What did you say?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm 
Veteran

As a hearing loss elder, I wish I had known then what I have since learned. Between a mis spent youth running around in loud cars and a military experience involving loud noises and a pleasurable but noisy hobby, some how I find that I need very expensive hearing assistance just to do ordinary things like talk to friends and family, watch television, go shopping and have appointments and meetings. What has happened in my case is cumulative rather than sudden, consequently I didn't realize what was happening until it did. What has happened to me is basically operator error. I didn't notice it happening and you may not notice it either but it does!

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip43.html

If you are interested in the really technical stuff,

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/new_noise/

Post subject: Re: What did you say?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 am 
Veteran

Yeah, as a member of a band in my youth, coupled with hours having earphones wrapped around my head; like you, military experience, I reached that point where I was wondering why the world seemed so quite. After a hearing test and evaluation I, too, got some hearing assistance and it has renewed my enthusiasm for music, television and, yes, conversation.

But I think there's a greater awareness these days of the potential damage that loud noise can do to one's hearing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:38 am 
Veteran

[quote="DennisS"]But I think there's a greater awareness these days of the potential damage that loud noise can do to one's hearing.[/quote]

Maybe among some of the older crowd, but the youngsters are listening to their music on high quality headphones and earbuds that provide music at levels that are much too high. Going to be a need for more hearing assistance as these kids get older IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am 
Veteran

[quote="John Boy"][quote="DennisS"]But I think there's a greater awareness these days of the potential damage that loud noise can do to one's hearing.[/quote]

Maybe among some of the older crowd, but the youngsters are listening to their music on high quality headphones and earbuds that provide music at levels that are much too high. Going to be a need for more hearing assistance as these kids get older IMHO.[/quote]

Not to mention the sound levels at concerts and the like. I remember the first (and only) rock concert I attended back in the 80's. Jefferson Starship. Once they started playing the sound pressure made it hard to get out of my seat.