WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need a TS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:00 pm 
Veteran

Time to pack in my Steel City TS. I can't turn the tilt handle...took it apart several times and can not find the issue. No place near me to consult- Long Island NY. So... I no longer need a large cabinet saw, as the projects have downscaled. What is a nice/ reasonablly priced bench/ contractors saw? Can I utilize my motor (2ph. 1hp)? Give me your input....Alan
And...how do you dispose of a very heavy TS?

Post subject: Re: Need a TS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:13 pm 
Veteran

I am really impressed with my Dewalt Portable tablee saw. Sounds like less than what you are looking for perhaps, but it is more capable than I would have ever thought. Not meant for dado stack though.

I had contractor type saws years ago and I was not thrilled with the way it threw dust everywhere. I would much rather have a bench saw than an open leg contractor saw.

My impression of Steel City is pretty solid and repairable? Maybe have mechanical friend give it a second look before you bail.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:59 am 
Veteran

Another vote to have someone else look at the problem before giving up on the saw.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:21 pm 
Veteran

Ditto have someone else look at your saw, a friend with good mechanical skills.
I’m currently using a modified old cast iron Craftsman new fence 2hp (110) motor, absolutely killer saw very accurate …
After my move send it to me in Oklahoma.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 am 
Veteran

A good friend of mine who was a pro wood worker/ my mentor (RIP), used to have a guy come out to his shop and tune up his tools once a year. maybe you could find someone like that to come out and have a look at yer saw.

heqq most of us at one time or another pay a repairmen to come and fix things.

But now for small saws Though I dont own one, Ive always been partial to makita tools.

I own one of their planers and couild not be happier with it

You could also look at getting a track saw. I have one and use it for almost all my projects with few jigs and accessories you prolly wont need a TS. After I bought my track 9 years ago, i ended up giving my TS to a friend bc I hardly used it.

Now a TS is faster in a lot of ways so if yer not in a hurry i recommend a track saw. Plus ya save a lot of room in yer shop.

I just sold my old Festool track saw (12 years old) and bought the new cordless version of it. I find that the Festool saws give a very nice cut similar to the large more very expensive saws.

This is my opinion , your milage may vary