WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I need a new finish!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm 
Veteran

I have a 'home shop'...making furniture and small boxes. I have, for years, used Watco...several coats....final coat put on with 400 grit...then...paste wax. The finish is excellent and has great wear properties. A few weeks ago, one of the rags that I was using got misplaced and when I found it...it was quite warm...I have no clue what would have happened if I had not located it. THUS...I want to explore if there are finishes that can duplicate the success I had with oil and wax...but with LOW VOC and no flammability. I see that Tried and True is one. Anyone have any feedback? I would like to work safely indoors.

Post subject: Re: I need a new finish!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:01 am 
Veteran

Just be sure to keep those "polymerizing oil" rags in a metal container. That will solve all your problems. :-)
...lew...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 pm 
Veteran

when i lived in the UK I found this stuff called polyvine. It a wb finish that has a wax feel to it. I googled it and found some on eBay. Guess you can do some further research and see if this stuff will meet your needs
Polyvine Wax Finish Varnish Satin Or Flat - Clear 500ml / 1 Litre

Polyvine Wax Finish Varnish in satin or Dead flat clear is a unique wax like, protective varnish. Feels like a wax to the touch but is a high performance satin or non reflective finish. A fav with furniture painters in the UK.

If you struggle applying top coats this may will be suitable alternative. Combining that silky feel of wax with the durability of a varnish, and is water based!

Reminiscent of the traditional feel of lovingly preserved furniture. Retains the natural appearance of the wood.

Available in satin for depth and a soft sheen, dead flat for a completely shine free surface. Suitable for many uses such as:

bookshelves • new wood • furniture • doors • staircases • wood and MDF • fire surrounds • kitchen cabinets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284384319103?e ... Sw3Whg~Rcl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:38 pm 
Veteran

Have you ever watched this fellow, his finishes are real nice and seem easy to apply.
\
https://www.youtube.com/c/BlacktailStudio