WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shaper questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 am 
Veteran

Hi I’m Jim from Nashville, TN. I have been making raised panels for 25 years with my router table and bits. However now i want to build some custom kitchen cabinets that have a much wider profile on the raised panel. So I acquired a delta shaper and some raised panel cutters. As I was setting the raised panel cutter up I realized that do do to the rotation of the cutter and cutting edge I would have to run the panels thru the opposite direction as I did on my router. I’m not that comfortable with that. So can someone explain why the difference between the router in table cutters and the shaper. I realize this questions seems weird , but years ago I had a pretty awful router accident so I just want to stay safe since I love woodworking. Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Shaper questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am 
Veteran

Sorry Jim,
Way out of my league.
Zulu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am 
Veteran

Try this. Seems to answer your questions. I do not have a shaper, wish i did but would need a bigger shop. I think many use a power feeder, much safer and faster for production businesses.
https://www.infinitytools.com/blog/2016 ... er-tables/
Norm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:39 pm 
Veteran

Hello Jim,

I have a shaper with an 1 1/4" spindle and it is the one machine in my shop to which I give the most respect. You are wise to be cautious around your shaper as they can do great damage in the blink of an eye.

If you can manage it, the suggestion to use a power feed is a very good one. If not, then I suggest a heavy sled onto which your workpiece can be securely clamped and which has upright handles that will keep you well away from the cutter. I have seen one for sale that is machined out of 3/4" solid aluminum and uses compressed air like a hover craft to facilitate its movement on the shaper table. It also came with a number of templates for arched panels and frames. If you have a number of them to make, such as for a kitchen remodel, then I think it would be well worth the investment.

As far as rotation, some shapers allow for rotation in either direction although obviously the direction which tightens the nut on your spindle is the safest. If you can choose the direction of rotation you can also choose to turn your cutter over and cut in the other direction. When making raised panels I prefer to have the cutter on the underside of the workpiece as an added measure of safety. I also use a pilot bearing and a closely fitted fence that the cutter has cut for a perfect fit, so as to have the least possible exposure.

Good luck with your project and don't forget that we love pictures here.
Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:21 pm 
Veteran

I always use my raised panel cutters under the work piece. They stick out a good ways and can really be dangerous.Also I always use a sled and clamps rather than hand holding the pieces.