WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: long reach wood clamp
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:34 am 
Veteran

I needed to do a bit light clamping at a distance the small woodworking clamps wouldn't reach, so designed and built a prototype, Started on a "production" run of 4 and this cursed VIRUS has terminated my access to the Metal lathe and Mill at school . :-( In any event the "clamping job" got done a different way but here sits the project with no way to complete it in the foreseeable future.
It seems to do what I needed but now don't have an "anticipated" use of them. :-) Oh Well the design part was the fun.
...lew...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 pm 
Veteran

Hey Lew,

If you want to send me the stock and some specs. I would be happy to help you finish your clamp project. I have a WWII vintage South Bend machine lathe that should do the job. I have a good selection of taps and dies but not for Acme threads. Send me a PM and I'll send you my address.

Regarding long clamps, boat builders have been dealing with that problem for generations. I suggest doing an internet search for, "lapstrake clamps". You will find a host of innovative methods for clamping across spans.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 pm 
Veteran

As I have a woodshop I also have a well enough equipped machine shop to handle my other hobby, makin steel, aluminum, titanium, and any other chips I can manage. I could also help make whatever you need.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 am 
Veteran

Thanks for the offers but I just put all the parts in a box and up on a shelf in the garage. MAYBE by next fall I will be able to get back to the high school metal shop and finish them. I have most of the metal parts started but the cross holes in the "barrels" is going to be a lot of mill work and finishing of the knurled knobs will be a bit tedious. Glad I don't need them now for a real project. :-)
...lew...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:49 am 
Veteran

Aw So ! I just went and googled that "lapstrake clamp" . That would have been so much easier for what I really needed way back in the beginning . :-) Well that gives me a project to use some of the "many days" left under the "no metal work" dictate of the VIRUS plague. . I think a positive locating hinge at the rear of the clamp will be more suitable as a woodworking tool for the sort of stuff I'm liable to be doing. So that gives me something to think about. A cheep simple hinge. Like most of my "thinking" it'll end up too complicated to do without some more metal work. :-) But we'll see. I'll report in a while.
Thanks for the pointer.
...lew...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:03 pm 
Veteran

Hey Lew,
Most of the lapstrake clamps that I have used had a leather hinge made from an old belt.
Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:24 am 
Veteran

With nothing else to do I prototyped one of those (boatbuilders clamps) :-) and it would have been SO much easier to do. I even made it adjustable in the "hinge" area. (I had that piece of steel with the holes in it from some other proj.) I'll include a pic of the application that started this whole fiasco . :-) with the latest clamp in place.
...lew...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 am 
Veteran

OK the final version . :-) I still need to make new metal cylinder parts when/if I ever get access to the mill and lathe again, but the
design works fine.