WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: help needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm 
Veteran

My Delta Uni saw is getting hard to adjust the blade up and down, Started taking off guards and blew out the adjusting mechanism, now I would like your opinion on the best lubricant to use that won't attract dust & debris and keep it moving freely..
Larry so sorry about your accident, hope you are a quick healer and will pray for a good recovery for you. When I looked at the pictures my apatite dropped to almost zero, but will try to only do things not above my skill level and will keep the riving knife in place.
Kent

Post subject: Re: help needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:23 pm 
Veteran

Kent,
I have used all kinds of lubes, the only that works for me is paste wax. Scrape out all of the grunge from the trunnion and the worm gear with a small screwdriver, brush out what you can with a stiff brush, toothbrush, then apply wax with the toothbrush on the trunnion and gear. The shaft for the worm on my Jet is fairly well sealed and may not need attention.
Norm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:24 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,

Another vote here for wax. For high torque applications I like to use a mixture of paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits. Once the solvent evaporates, the wax won't collect dust and only liquifies under pressure.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm 
Veteran

Gentlemen, Thanks for the advice. It took a bit of work with a denture brush and WD-40 to clean the gunk off the gears, but then the paste wax made a new machine out of the raise and lower gears.
A tight fit for my hands but I got it done.
I have been working on some locally saw ash and have some ghosting on a plant stand top. At our woodworkers club last week one of the guys said that if using nitrile gloves multiple times with
wipe on poly will produce that lightening effect that is impossible to remove. Of course I will use a glove until it rips or develops a hole, need to change my ways or buy latex gloves.
Spring can't be too far away as it is 50* in NW IA this PM. Kent