WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moxon accessory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 pm 
Veteran

Since no one else is posting......:

I finally got a moxon vise last year when I visited Lie Nielsen open house and recently saw, on woodnet, a very cool accessory Dr Cohen devised and made for his moxon. It's a bridge to place behind the vise and hold the pin board while marking the tails...I used to turn a plane on it's side to do the same thing when using my bench vise. Anyway...first cool day, 47* today (95* yesterday) so I closed the door on the shop and put this thing together.
ImageClick For Full-Size Image.
He fashioned his to be 1/2" taller than the vise so as to be level with the extruding piece in the vise....which assumes that the dovetails will be 1/2" deep. I made mine level with the moxon so that, when I place a board in the moxon, I can take one of it's counterpart pieces and put under the bridge thus the piece to be cut will extrude the depth of the dovetail. OR...I can place a thicker piece under the bridge and just 'cut to the line'.

Still got work to do on it...cut a chamfer on the front chop to accommodate saw stroke and gotta find my plug cutter to fill the screw holes :-?

Don

Here's what happened before the finish coat! Got a few blowouts from chopping them out but...'Good enough for the girls I go with" :wink: