WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New beginnings...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 am 
ModerDude/

It has been far too long since I posted regularly here. Since then, the whole world around me has changed. Forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were and social media platforms have taken centre stage as a means of communicating. The ability to take pictures and shoot video has become so easy, it no longer presents a problem to achieve or post online. Although I am not a big fan of social media, I do use it from time to time, but I miss the more 'personal' interaction that a good forum can achieve.

Having been a moderator here (a good few years ago) I know this place is one of the better corners of the cyber-world. Unfortunately, it has lost out to the new generation of 'fact-consumers' those who take but rarely give. How many time do you hear someone say "I saw it on YouTube" or "Look it up on YouTube"? Don't take this the wrong way, I use YouTube as a reference source, but I still rely on books with greater validity, but I may be a bias.

Apart from the big world changes to communication out there, our own personal life has gone through and is still going through, a monumental change, Sue and I have sold our London house that we have lived in for forty years and moved to the coast. his has been a monumental experience for us. Having lived in a large Victorian property for so long, you will be amazed at how much stuff we accumulated. Not only that we had a good-sized workshop (at least for a London garden!) that some of you may remember me building back in 2004. The plan was to convert it to a home office when we sold the house to add value. What actually happened was we sold the house with the workshop, but the new owner did not want it, even though he had paid for it. He was going to knock it down and have it removed. To cut a long story very short, we took it with us! The story of that has been documented on my workshop blog (see, even I use social media), which you can find HERE if you are interested. The workshop story starts on the post, dated 4th June 2019.

Woodworking has taken a back-seat in our life over the past decade as life has taken over. However, all that is, behind us now, we have made the move and have been here for about six weeks. We now need to build new workshops and unpack LOTS of boxes. To complicate the issue, we have bought a new (to us) lathe, tools and wood supply, from a turner who has given up turning due to his health taking a turn for the worse. He is now following his other passion, art.

The lathe is an Apollo Pro. a hand-built lathe of which there were not very many made, to my knowledge. It is a monster, will turn 22" over the bed and is well over 40" between centres. It weighs a ton, maybe not literally, but it is very heavy, even in bits. It is the tools and the wood that is mind-boggling, The wood alone took two-panel van loads! Mostly cut blanks, both round and square, as well as a good supply of seasoned logs cut to 'turning length. All this along with finishes in gallon cans, abrasives by the box full and a good selection of shop-made jigs and holders. There are also dozens of bowls and vessels, turned in a rough form, that have been drying for years.

This is going to make a bit of a difference to our future plans, as far as woodturning goes. We have had small lathes for a long time and sue has a very nice short cast iron lathe that is primarily used for turning pens, My own Record lathe is just a toy compared to this monster. I plan to document the story of building the new workshop and the progression of the turning on my blog but will also share it with you guys here if you are interested.

It is good to see some of the old names are still here, maybe some more will eventually come back or even just pop in and say hello.

Some pictures to follow, once I get the computers all up and running properly, it is all a bit string and sticky tape at the moment!

Ralph.

our other interests:
http://ralphsworkshop.blogspot.com/
http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk
https://my-meccano.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited by Ralph Laughton on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New beginnings...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:08 am 
Veteran

Wow! Really good to hear from you again Ralph. Quite a change you just went thru. Having moved many times in my life I can relate to the challenges of packing up and basically starting over. Thanks for this update and I wish you and yours all the best. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:52 am 
Veteran

Thanks for checking in.
It is good to hear from you and (at least for now) things are
going well for you.
Keep us posted and stay well
Just be sure to unpack ALL the boxes as we have lost some things
just to find them years later in an unopened shipping box.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:50 pm 
Veteran

Really good to see you return to the fold, Ralph. Missed you!

Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:25 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ralph,

Welcome back! You've been missed!

You didn't say which coast you moved to. I'll be interested to hear of your pending adventures to the "dark side" (turning) :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 pm 
Veteran

Welcome Back
Will soggy points be returning?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 pm 
ModerDude/

Thanks for the warm welcome back, I have checked in from time to time over the past few years but time and life style have kept me from woodworking. Now we have moved and started our new life here in Herne Bay, Kent, I have the time and the inclination to get back to making dust and shavings again. The first job will be building the new workshop and turning shop. As I said in my first post, we have brought all the material from the old workshop with us and intend to use it to build the majority of the new building, which will be larger than the old one. We did, however, leave the trusty little shed, that has served us well for over thirty-five years. In its final reincarnation was used as our turning shed.

It is sad that the traffic on this forum is so slow, maybe we can speed it up a bit with some fresh ideas and some more participation. I would be more than happy to bring back the "soggy points", if there was enough interest, for me I enjoyed setting questions that could not just be 'Googled' for an answer. That might be a little harder these days, but it could be fun to have a go.

I will also have a few projects to show you as time moves on. We need a kitchen island to add some storage and preparation area. This I have designed to be movable - it will be on wheels. I also have a lot of workspace and storage to build including a huge bookcase system in the library end of the living space. That will be more function than form, but it still needs to blend in with the rest of the room, and/or become as unobtrusive as possible. The thinking is still going on there, but mirrors have been considered...

As far as the pleasure side of woodworking is concerned, I think for the immediate future that will entail getting to grips with the new monster-lathe. I really fancy doing some segmented turning and even some open-segmented work. Along with the lathe I purchased a huge selection of turning tools, including several hollowing systems, so a lot of hollowing practise will be the first order of the day.

The guy I bought it all from, gave me a hollow sphere he had made. It is amazing to look at and when you puck it up it is so light is does not equate to the visual form. A great talking point. Here is a quick snap-shot of it sitting on my bookcase for the time being. Sorry about the poor quality of the shot, but once I get sorted out, I will shoot some decent pictures of it.

Ralph.

our other interests:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 pm 
Veteran

Ralph good to hear from you again. Moving and setting up new isnt a easy task. But thoses are the things that akelife interesting. making new memories along with the new start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 am 
ModerDude/

The house we bought has an annexe, which will soon be home for my 92 year old Mum. First,I need to get the workshops build so I can clear it and move the machines out. Since we bought the lathe and wood, some of the vast collection of blanks are now stored in there too.

This is only part of the haul. Below is a picture of just some of the rounds hiding behind the pile of spindle blanks.

It does not stop there. In the yard there is a huge pile of both blanks and prepared natural logs. this pile is about ten feet long and a good four to five feet high all on timbers to keep it off the floor and covered with tarpaulins to keep it dry until it can be moved under cover.

There are mainly seasoned square blanks and bark-on seasoned logs of all sizes

Amongst the pile in the yard, is a box full of lignum vitae bowling balls.

Then there are the seasoned rough blanks, which are all over the place awaiting completion of the wood store. These are a few of them, stashed away in the loft to keep dry.

Now you can see part of the reason I did not turn down this opportunity to buy this whole collection, even though we are up to our eyeballs with stuff to do in the house, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't forget, this is just the wood, there are hundreds of tools and sundries as well as the lathe itself.

I will post more of this purchase as I get it sorted out. Of course, this does not include our own stocks of timber, which is still at our storage barn, awaiting space to move it here. I think I will be busy for the next few months (years?!)

Ralph.

our other interests:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm 
Veteran

Lignum bowling balls, eh? That's a new one on me. I assume you mean for British lawn bowling, and not the US variety? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:51 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ralph,

Wow! You really do have your work cut out for you.

I'm particularly impressed with the lignum vitae, it's an endangered species because it's so useful. It makes great plane soles, and mallet heads, but I just recently read of a company that is using it to replace plastic bearings where water is used as lubricant instead of petroleum. I know that it's been used as shaft log bearings on inboard motor boats for years.

It was also the material of choice in the days of wooden ships and iron men for deadeyes. Deadeyes are the like blocks without moving pulleys in them. They are used to tighten and adjust the standing rigging on a sailing ship. Most deadeyes manufactured over even two hundred years ago are still on the job. Such is the durability of lignum vitae.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:12 am 
ModerDude/

Gene wrote:
Lignum bowling balls, eh? That's a new one on me. I assume you mean for British lawn bowling, and not the US variety? :)

Here in the UK, they are called 'Bowls' and as you say they are for lawn bowls played (normally) on grass. I though calling them bowling balls might distinguish them from the blanks intended for bowl turning... I forgot about ten-pin bowing, but I think you got my drift, at least I hope so. Now all I have to do is think of a use for them that will do the wood justice. I know I could make mallets out of them (that is what the previous owner was using them for) but I think they would make nice screw-top boxes, maybe.

Ralph.

our other interests:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 am 
ModerDude/

tms wrote:
Hey Ralph,

Wow! You really do have your work cut out for you.

I'm particularly impressed with the lignum vitae, it's an endangered species because it's so useful. It makes great plane soles, and mallet heads, but I just recently read of a company that is using it to replace plastic bearings where water is used as lubricant instead of petroleum. I know that it's been used as shaft log bearings on inboard motor boats for years.

It was also the material of choice in the days of wooden ships and iron men for deadeyes. Deadeyes are the like blocks without moving pulleys in them. They are used to tighten and adjust the standing rigging on a sailing ship. Most deadeyes manufactured over even two hundred years ago are still on the job. Such is the durability of lignum vitae.

Cheers,
Tom

It is an interesting wood, it was used for making police truncheons as it was 'softer' than metal and according to Wikipedia "is less likely to cut skin". My farther-in-law had an old Massey Ferguson combine that had LV bearings soaked in oil. I have no idea why as the environment they operated in was the direct opposite to marine use, being dry and very dusty.

Ralph.

our other interests:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am 
Veteran

Ralph Laughton wrote:
Gene wrote:

Here in the UK, they are called 'Bowls' and as you say they are for lawn bowls played (normally) on grass. I though calling them bowling balls might distinguish them from the blanks intended for bowl turning... I forgot about ten-pin bowing, but I think you got my drift, at least I hope so. Now all I have to do is think of a use for them that will do the wood justice. I know I could make mallets out of them (that is what the previous owner was using them for) but I think they would make nice screw-top boxes, maybe.

Ralph.

I did "get your drift". I looked up the prices on these also. Quite a spread for the antique ones - some quite expensive. I guess the lignum ones are fairly rare these days as other materials are being used more.

Anyway, I'm sure you will come up with something unique and beautiful for them. I like the idea of screwtop boxes. Might make some nice table lamps also.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm 
ModerDude/

It is a good few weeks since I started this post, little did I know what was just around the corner. We had got ourself to the stage where things were just starting to pan out as we planned, I had the tools out and ready to start on the workshop. On the Sunday, we were preparing lunch, awaiting the arrival of some guests. The telephone rang. It was my Mum. She said she had cut her hand and it would not stop bleeding.

To cut a very long story short, she had damaged her hand, needed hospital treatment and needed looking after. She moved in that day.

Although the plan was to move her into the annex, it was supposed to be after I had built the workshop and moved all the tools and machines out of the annex, now, somehow, we had to fit Mum, tools, machines and wood all into the same space. The past few weeks has been taken up doing just that and trying to support her through a massive and sudden upheaval. Needless to say, the workshop is still awaiting my attention.

Now we have all got over the sudden change in circumstances and learning how to rub along together, I may get a chance to get some work done, If it stops raining that is... Did I mention it rains here?

Ralph :wink: :-?

our other interests:

Last edited by Ralph Laughton on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:15 pm 
Veteran

Wow Ralph, Im sorry that happened. But Im sure things will calm down and yer Mom will get better and everyting will get back to normal soon. Beofre you know it you'll be in your shop and back at it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:56 pm 
Veteran

Ralph, sometimes life happens at the worst times but we
all seem to survive it and come out better.
Hope all improves from here and Mom heals well.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 am 
Veteran

Hey, Ralph! Really glad to have you back, Buddy!

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am 
ModerDude/

Time to get going on the workshop and other small outbuildings.

Mum's hand has repaired itself amazingly quickly, considering she is 92 years young! She is almost back to full usage after just a few weeks. She is still living with the stuff that came out of the workshop, back in London, The plan now is to build a light 'shed' that will become Sue's potting shed eventually. This will be big enough house all the machines and tools, that we have here, and the boxes of 'stuff' that will eventually be housed in the workshop. There will not be any room to use them, but at least Mum will get here living space back and will be able to live in her annex full time.

The potting shed will be set on concrete pads making it much easier and quicker to get built. The light construction will mean it will (should!) not take too long to build.

First job will be to clear the site and get the basic design down on paper... between the rain showers, that is!

I will post the progress here...

Ralph.

our other interests:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 am 
ModerDude/

Another year on and although some things have changed, it has been one I think most of us hope to forget. Most of the time we have just been looking after my, now 93 year-old, Mum and keeping her safe. Just for a change, the weather here has been raining for what seems like months, after a long spell of dry weather over the summer. The workshop is still in 'stick form' and the ground is too wet to build on (comfortably). I will be 65 next month and the cold wet weather is not the best time for this soon to be old-timer to start construction. That said, if it does dry up a bit, I could be tempted.

Having been here now for 18 months, half of which living under Covid-19 restrictions, I am really starting to get frustrated at not having a workshop. Still, we are at the start of the year with the prospect of better weather just around the corner. Also here in the UK the vaccination program is being ramped up at an unprecedented rate, offering hope for a lifting of the lock-down the whole of the UK is presently in. The next couple of months will be a telling time.

I hope you are all keeping safe and well, hopefully I will be able to post some progress on the workshop this spring.

Ralph.

our other interests: