WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DW621 repair
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:15 pm 
Veteran

My DW621 (router) is at least twenty years old and finally failed. It would spin up to speed, but then cut out. The control module operates in two modes - startup and run. Apparently the run circuit had failed. A new DW621 is about $230 (though there are probably better routers to look at now), while the control module is $80 if you shop around. The replacement isn't hard. A couple of screws to remove the top cover, two more to remove the side cover to access the wiring connector. The main caution (other than unplugging, of course) is to take a photo of the wires so you know which color goes to which connector. Getting the side cover back on requires loosening, but not removing, the screws that hold the handle with the on/off switch. The whole job takes about 15 minutes.

So, if your router exhibits this symptom, you can fix it yourself without two much hassle.

Post subject: Re: DW621 repair
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 am 
Veteran

I've got the same router.... mine is 16yrs old.... Thanks for the Tip! There was a service center in San Diego that I used to replace the cord on mine several years ago...charged me $35 IIRC so, I imagine they would charge close to price of new one to replace that control module...even if I COULD find a service center around here. Good to know I can do it myself. That is my 'go to' for hand-held work.

Thanks again,

Don