WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:17 pm 
Veteran

First I’m a pretty experienced woodworker. I’ve done a fair amount of cabinet finishing over the years. So for the longest time my wife has wanted me to build this knock-it-out-of-the-park custom kitchen..and this time she wanted me to finish all the pieces in an off white color. So for the past 8 weeks I cut, routed, sanded this huge pile of rough lumber and turned my efforts into more double and triple raised panel doors and fluted profiles than one could imagine. Then after a 60/40 dewaxed shellac coat and light sanding I sprayed every piece with an eggshell water base latex paint. I gave everything 2 coats. The pieces looked so beautiful and totally pristine. So now I was ready to spray my first coat of clear on. I have always liked General Finishes ‘High Performance waterbase clear in a flat finish. I bought it at my local Woodcraft store. I had always assumed that waterbase clear did not yellow as a solvent clear will. So I sprayed all pieces with the first coat. Again the next day the pieces looked even more beautiful. And the clear did not change the off white base color at all. That was until about 2 days later. Now several areas on most pieces have turned a urine yellow! It’s not 100% but it sorta random. I’m devastated. The cabinets went from pristine beautiful to darn ugly. At this point there is so much work in this project (and $$). I’m not sure how to save it. If there is anybody out there who have ever experienced this and maybe knows of a clear topcoat that won’t react this way...I sure could use your advice. Thank you for any help.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:33 am 
Veteran

Sounds like you did a textbook finish... and the General finish failed. I would be on the phone with them first thing tomorrow morning and send a picture. They MUST know the remedy. I cannot imagine you are the only victim with this dilemma. Removing that 2 coat aplication would be a nightmare!
Please keep us posted! There ARE some very knowledgeable folks who may have a remedy...I'm certainly going to keep tabs to see. good luck

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am 
Veteran

I use GF enduro for about 95% of my projects.

Ive never had that happen. That does sound a bit strange to me.

FYI GF Enduro makes a white poly thats sprays real good.

Just used it on a couple of projects.

They also make a white undercoater that will help smooth the surface prior to the actual white poly being sprayed.

I would call GF and have a chat.

It may not be the GF poly it maybe the paint.

But call GF first see what they say.

Plz let us know as Im interested in knowing what they say and what happens as I use so much of their products.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 pm 
Veteran

Hey Jim,

I'm not an expert in water based finishes, but I have sprayed a lot of organic solvent finishes. My first thought was what, if anything, did you use to thin the finish to spray consistency? If the water contained any solutes, or even had the wrong pH, it might have effected the finish.

If you do find out the cause, please let us know.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm 
AdminDude

"or even had the wrong pH"

Wow, I would have never gone there, thanks Tom