WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A cutler’s vise…
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:51 pm 
Veteran

… is used to secure a knife or other tool while a handle is fashioned.

Although I’ve said before that I dislike working with metal, that is somewhat inaccurate. More to the point, I dislike working with metal in my shop. My shop is a wood shop and every time I have to work with metal, I feel like I need to detox, decontaminate, or perform some sort of ritual cleansing. I’ve also said that I like making tools, and that usually requires working with metal. Out of this paradox I have fashioned a cutler’s vise.

This all started with carving spoons. In order to better carve wooden spoons, I started making left handed hook knives and slöjd knives. Now, to better make knives, I’ve made a cutler’s vise patterned after one made by D. Comeau.

ImageImage
The vise started with four pieces of iron pipe cut at the local pipe yard. The bird’s mouth of the upright piece was cut with a carbide hole saw.

Image Image
After some sanding, a local welder helped with the assembly (thanks Dan). The knobs on the adjustment screws are fashioned from trimmed carriage bolts and brass channel with wenge wood infills.

Image Image
The wooden jaws are white oak, lined with cork. They have magnets imbedded to hold them open and in place when the adjustment screws are backed off. I indulged myself by having it covered by a local powder coating firm.

Although I do like making tools, I think that I’m also a bit fed up with the metallic mess for awhile. Time to start the chanting, the burning of incense, …or maybe just the vacuum cleaner.

Post subject: Re: A cutler’s vise…
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 pm 
Veteran

Tom,
Looks good!
How are the trimmed carriage bolts attached to the brass channel?
Is it threaded?

I happen to enjoy metal work as well as my woodwork.
But it sure is dirty! :-?
Zulu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:13 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Zulu,
The mess is really my only objection to working metal.
The channel, wenge and trimmed carriage bolts are all held together with a metal bonding epoxy.
Image Image
(the nuts and washer were not used)
Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:10 pm 
Veteran

That's beautiful. Your welder friend is a carn good welder. TIG? Great choice of powder coat color.
A question - how does the bolt on the wooden jaws work? It looks like it goes all the way through to the other side of the pipe, but it that's the case, I don't see how it tightens the jaws?

BTW - I have the same bench vise! Never seen another one in all these years. Did you replace the wooden handle with a steel one? That's what the photo looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Drstrip,

Yeah I believe the welder used a TIG welder; not my forte', that's why I jobbed it out.
I actually wanted a darker, less blue color, but this was the closest available. I think that the hammered finish is less likely to show wear than a solid color.

If you look at the penultimate photo on the OP, you can see a short bolt with a locking nut and washer. It's the adjustment for the wood jaw on that side. I used a short locking bolt as a sort of set it and forget it item since only one jaw has to move in order to insert the knife blade. A short bolt is also has a shorter radius so that it won't impact the bracket if the vise is turned. The bolts bear on some washers set in shallow holes in the wooden jaws.

The bench vise is an old Sears Craftsman. Pop had one on his bench, where I started woodwork. We built my bench together for my birthday, 40 years ago. For the vise, I simply went with what I knew worked. Someday, I'll get around to putting a new top on the bench and remount the vise, ...someday.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm 
Veteran

Great idea and execution, Tom! The powder coating finish really sets it off nicely.

Cheers - Dennis