WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:05 am 
Veteran

I need an air filtration unit in my garage workshop to go along with my dust collection unit. I have a couple of round fans rescued from the house crawl space that I can use to make an overhead unit. There's a metal fabrication shop down the road that can make the duct work for me. This would let me put several filter ports along the run. Or would it be just as easy and cost-effective to buy a Jet ($329) or Rikon ($229) and hang it from the ceiling? Thanks in advance for the input and advice. Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:49 pm 
Veteran

A ready made off the shelf unit is obviously the easy choice, however I'm a big fan of old school DIY myself. If the cost difference isn't prohibitive, and perhaps even in your favor, I'd opt for utilizing what you have on hand.

Pride of authorship and all, ya know! :)

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:46 pm 
Veteran

ZMan wrote:
I need an air filtration unit in my garage workshop to go along with my dust collection unit. I have a couple of round fans rescued from the house crawl space that I can use to make an overhead unit. There's a metal fabrication shop down the road that can make the duct work for me. This would let me put several filter ports along the run. Or would it be just as easy and cost-effective to buy a Jet ($329) or Rikon ($229) and hang it from the ceiling? Thanks in advance for the input and advice. Bob

Why metal why not just make a wooden box?

Izzy Swan did a You-tube video on just using box fans.
https://youtu.be/fQCEPNFFpy8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:37 pm 
Veteran

Just to wrap things up - I spoke with a local shop about fabricating this using my old air exhaust fan (from the crawl space after we sealed the space). Bottom line, without properly testing the system before installing, I could be putting the garage and house in danger of fire from an overheated fan. This after going to the expense to have it built. We didn't even get to the cost of fabrication. I decided to buy a air filtration unit and be done with it. It will be a tax write-off for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm 
Veteran

thats what I was gonna suggest. I have the jet. works great. It has a timer so I just turn it on and dont stress over turning it off at the end of the day.