WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 pm 
Veteran

Ok so pretty much like the rest of you folks-I spend a lot of time creating my wood projects. So obviously if I mess up the desired finish it’s a dark day here in Tennessee. So currently I have just completed a massive staircase (treads/newel posts and railing all in white oak and ready for stain. But at nearly the same time I built this also massive front entrance door-2” thick by 9’ tall with transom and sidelights. I had to build the door from red oak because I did not have any more thick enough white oak. So the stairs and door are nearly next to each other in our new home. I want the final stain color to match or come very close. I have tried and tried but regardless of my technique the red oak always comes out shades darker. I’ve been using a mocha color oil based stain. Thank goodness I’ve only been playing with sample chunks of sanded wood. Do any of you have a suggestion or a method to get white and red oak to appear the near same after staining?
Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm 
Veteran

JIMONGEE: have you tried sealing both samples with shelac as a sealer( !# or thinner)then using a wiping stain that you can manipulate? Just WAG off the top idea. I would imagine that you are not the first guy to run up on this situation so there are probably some conversations on the web. You might be able to get some help from the tech dept at the finish/stain mfg phone #

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm 
Veteran

"tech dept at the finish/stain mfg phone #"

I think this would be the best bet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 pm 
Veteran

Red oak is very open grain white oak is not.
If you are using the put it on and wait method, try just rubbing the stain in until you get the desired colour then wipe it off immediately. aka known as the two rag method.
You might also try thinning the stain with the approbate solvent or a lighter stain.
Possibly filling the grain Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty works well on red oak and stains to the same colour, it seams to hold up to abuse I have used it on floors.