WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Entry door plans needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:20 am 
Veteran

Hello
Well just like the staircase I’m in process of building....the next project I want to build a massive front entry door with side lights and Transome. I have a ton of white oak all dried from the trees I harvested from my building sight-all 8 quarter plus. So when I realized the market prices for massive entry doors I realized I should build my own. So even though I have been wood working for years ( built a kazillion cabinets and smaller doors)....never built an entry door with all the bells and whistles. So having a clear entry door plan that I can start with and add my dimensions would be so helpful. Photos or diagrams would be great. If any of you could point me to a resource that would be so helpful.
Thanks
Jim in Franklin, TN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:32 pm 
Veteran

heres a good article

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2015/04/ ... more-18918

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Ron For the web address on door construction

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:35 pm 
Veteran

JIMONGEE: WOW!! What a project. Sometime in the near future you have some decisions to make about hardware. 3 or 4 hinges per door (or more) regular or ball bearing system and finishes for the handlesets... and there's a gazillion choices. Here is a source for hardware that has some good info on the hardware. NO reccommendation just info :) Hoping all your first cuts are right on the money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:03 pm 
Veteran

I built all the exterior doors for my house and can vouch for the feasibility of doing this in a home shop. Just a word of warning before you start -
a standard height, 36" entry door in solid oak will weigh between 125 and 150 pounds. All the pieces will have corresponding weights - an 8" stile will weigh almost 30 pounds. Running a 7' long, 30 pound board through the jointed is a lot of work. Once assembled and sitting on sawhorses, just turning it over to sand the other side is a major task. Just a heads up on what you're signing up for.

As to hinges - with a 150 pound door, ball-bearing hinges are the only choice.

Here's the front door. Port Orford cedar, so it doesn't weigh as much as oak, but still a lot to deal with:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am 
Veteran

Hey jimongee,

I second drstrip's caution about the weight of the door, and the need for ball bearing hinges. You might consider using four hinges.

I also suggest that you beef up the door frame proportionally. I built this oak dutch door for my shop a few year back, and while it was in two pieces, each piece was still staggeringly heavy to position. I hung it on the existing door frame and the frame sagged like a wet noodle. I eventually built a heavy white oak frame to hang the door on.

Image ImageImage

Here is a good book on the subject.
https://lostartpress.com/collections/bo ... dow-making

Cheers,
Tom