WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am 
Veteran

Fusion 360 is a 3D modeling program from Autodesk (the people that make AutoCAD). It's a very powerful modeler, comparable in many aspects to programs like SolidWorks. The really interesting thing about Fusion 360 is that it is free for personal (non-commercial) use. Unlike sketchup, Fusion 360 is a true solid modeling program and supports sculpted solids. Most important to me, it has a CAM module for generating CNC code. I'm just starting to experiment with it and the lid of the box shown here was developed using Fusion 360 and it's CAM module.

About 4x6", top is cypress (from a tree I cut years ago), the box is alder. Next time around boxes this size will have 3/8" walls, not 1/2".
This was also a first chance to try out the lock miter bit I bought recently. Very fussy setup, but good results.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 pm 
Veteran

VERY nice! That is an amazing creation.....the lid is astounding...and I am, especially, impressed with the continuous grain expression in the sides. Looks like the lock miter makes a really tight joint. Is that the 'finished' product?
We're just now setting up our CNC (2 machines) http://www.sdfwa.org/member-shop-equipment/ in our Member Shop and I'll pass your comment about Fusion 360 to the I T guys although they may already be aware.
Thanks for sharing....looking forward to more!

Don

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 am 
Veteran

Don2Laughs wrote:
VERY nice! That is an amazing creation.....the lid is astounding...and I am, especially, impressed with the continuous grain expression in the sides. Looks like the lock miter makes a really tight joint. Is that the 'finished' product?

Yes, that's as finished as it will get. It was really just a quick experiment with Fusion 360 and the lock miter. It will become a stocking stuffer at Xmas.

Quote:
We're just now setting up our CNC (2 machines) http://www.sdfwa.org/member-shop-equipment/ in our Member Shop and I'll pass your comment about Fusion 360 to the I T guys although they may already be aware.
Thanks for sharing....looking forward to more!

Don

That club shop looks amazing and the pricing is really good. I'm jealous - nothing like that anywhere near me.