WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oregon Myrtle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:49 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,

On our recent road trip, south to San Fransisco, we passed a number of roadside shops selling "Oregon Myrtlewood" items. Most were "Myrtlewood Factory" outfits, which I suspect is a franchise. I've often sped passed these places with little knowledge of what myrtle wood is, or with little inclination to find out. My parents had a pair of myrtlewood salt and pepper grinders, and I've heard that it makes an exceptional tone wood, but other than that, I knew very little about it.

Then, we stopped at Humbug Mountain State Park Wayside in Oregon, and ate lunch in a Myrtlewood grove.

So I did a Wiki search on Myrtlewood, and found that it is also California Bay, aka Pepperwood, which I have used to make bay rum and cook with.

I've always been in a rush to get from one place to another on US 101, but maybe next time, I'll stop and pick up some lumber.

Cheers,
Tom

Post subject: Re: Oregon Myrtle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm 
Veteran

I bought some myrtlewood a couple of years ago and was quite pleased with how it worked. A bit on the fuzzy side when it comes to sanding, it otherwise was a good experience. The range of colors and the grain were really great. It appears that it can be found in pretty large slabs if that's your thing. If you find a good source, be sure to let us know.

Post subject: Re: Oregon Myrtle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:34 am 
Veteran

i have used myrtle for several furniture projects - it's very stable, can find lots of tones, and finishes nicely.
heads up - it is very hard and takes the edge off pretty quickly - a little splintery - and sometimes when working it it feels gritty like teak

here's a music stand from a few years back
jerry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.