WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New blade guard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:56 am 
Veteran

I have a late 70's Rockwell contractor saw that has a rather inconvenient blade guard that is a nuisance to use and a pain to install and remove. This has led to too many close calls (though I do still have all my fingers, but have suffered some blood loss of the years). After one close call that could have been disastrous, I started looking at aftermarket fences and settled on the Shark bladeguard. Nicely made (though not cheap). Better operation than the OEM guard, and much easier to install/remove, reducing temptation to leave it off all the time.

The set comes with two different height supports for the guard, plus a splitter when the guard is not in use.

The system is available in different thicknesses for normal or thin-kerf blades.

A nice feature you can copy even if you don't buy the guard is the use of a wrenchless system to make installation/removal easier. Just replace the bolt on your current guard holder with something like this (or just a wing-bolt or threaded knob).

Post subject: Re: New blade guard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:07 pm 
Veteran

I wish my Unisaw was set up for a splitter/knife like that. I gather it tilts with the trunion as well?

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject: Re: New blade guard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:47 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
I wish my Unisaw was set up for a splitter/knife like that. I gather it tilts with the trunion as well?

yes , it tilts with the trunion. Shark makes a nearly identical version that will fit your Unisaw. (In fact, it may be the same model).