WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First time oil finish
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:45 pm 
Veteran

I am using an oil finish for the first time, Minwax antique oil finish to be precise, How many applications should I do, how should I apply it, and should I apply any other finish over it. I have read the directions on the can but I am still not totally clear about how to proceed. I have applied one coat and waited the prescribed amount of time and then buffed it, but it was not like buffing in any sense, the finish was very tacky and difficult to buff, is this normal or am I not doing right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:34 pm 
Veteran

Hey Paul,

Finishing guru, Bob Flexner, calls Minwax Antique Oil a thinned oil/varnish finish. If you're brushing it on, I would give it about five minutes to soak in, and then wipe off the excess. Because it's a part oil finish, you want to put it on thinly or it will create a sticky, gummy mess.

When I use a thinned finish (wiping varnish), I use a piece of wool sock wrapped (twisted) in linen or cotton muslin. I try to avoid tee shirt material, as it wears out too quickly. I then apply the finish to the pad with a small squirt bottle (I bought mine from Rockler), and wipe it on, always working to a wet edge. When I wipe it on this way, I never need to wipe off any excess, and there's less waste.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:18 pm 
Veteran

Thaks Tom I will put another coat on it tomorrow and see what happens. And should I apply some type of finish over the oil, poly, varnish, Wax of some nature??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:27 pm 
Veteran

Hey Paul,

Since the finish you are using contains either and alkyd or urethane varnish, I don't think that anything else is necessary. Depending upon the level of gloss you want, you could either buff it with 0000 steel or bronze wool, or even just a brown paper bag. Give it a good week to harden up in a warm environment first though.

I like a softer look myself, and usually use a dark wax, buffed with 0000. The wax also gives a very satisfying feel to the surface, and the 0000 knocks the gloss off and leaves a nice luster.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:09 pm 
Veteran

Ok so I applied a third and final coat yesterday, gave it five minutes and wiped it off, buffed it some and I like the way it looks, no gloss and I don''t want it glossy so I think I will leave it just as it is. BTW it is an old Savage shotgun forend and shoulder stock. It was refinished a long time ago by whoever and it was done without removing the wood from the action. Awful job it was, I had to clean a lot of old finish of the metal. The wood had globs of dried finish all over it, Should have took before and afters but I have lost my camera. Thanks for the advice Tom.