WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:05 am 
Veteran

In my recent move, I also broke my 20 year old extension (mdf with a laminate top) for my Delta unisaw.

Wondering if you have made a new table from scratch or if it is better to buy one.

There are rabbited out sections made to fit to the metal part of the table (been so busy in the move I haven't really studied how it joins).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:43 pm 
Veteran

JAKE LEG: I made an extension top for my Craftsman (1950 s) saw I Got from my dad. I used a solid core door slab and covered it with laminate. I used it (extension table and out feed table) because it was heavy, dead flat, wood tool machinable and in the long run less expensive than using lumber and/or ply. I used an ivory colored laminate so that I could layout (pencil) sketches, dimensions of work stock, notes to self etc. and then wipe clean when done. I also found that by using self adhesive sandpaper that it made a pretty good "scary sharp" surface. Another benefit to the solid core slab is that I have drilled holes for bench dogs and holdfasts. The caution with that for me is to remember that the core is very dense particleboard and be just a tad more careful with the dogs and holdfast.

I did machine the two table slabs to accommodate an afermarket (Grizzly) rip fence and front and back rails. For peace of mind, where I needed lags or screws in stress spots I glued in hardwood plugs so that the threads would have a better purchase. The one thing I should have done in fabrication would have been to edge the slabs where they were not blind to the machine with thicker oak edging.

HTH :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 pm 
Veteran

My current Craftsman table saw I am using some 1/2" thick composite material using a wooden frame and an aluminum angle to attach it to the table saw, it has a 50" Bissemeyer style rip fence.

I am in process of making an extension/router table for my oder UniSaw using some solid surface material with a wooden frame and an aluminum angle for attaching to the table saw.

I have seen standard counter top laminate used over plywood or other material used on extension tables.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:25 pm 
Veteran

I made one for my Delta (Ive since sold it now that I got a track saw) . I made the table . Its just Melamine 3/4 (I think)