WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am 
Veteran

Hi to you all. Boy, am I frustrated. Just got off the customer service line with Delta. I have a Delta 31-250 drum sander. The clip (part no. 40613327001) that holds the end of the sandpaper strip broke last week. I've been looking all over the web for replacement parts for this and keep coming up with "part is obsolete" or "part no longer available" messages. Finally called Delta customer service and yep, sure enough that part is no longer available and there is no replacement part. Can't believe that a custom part that is necessary for the operation of this machine is no longer available anywhere. The customer service guy was less than friendly and pretty much just blew me off. Sure doesn't make me want to buy any more Delta equipment. Anybody else have this machine and had to replace this part? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 pm 
Veteran

From what I read in another forum, what happened to you applies to most other Delta machines. Sad that a company that made really good machines ended up like this.
I had a Delta 31-250, had problems with it, bought a Jet 18-36. Much better. The clips on the Jet are very similar, may work or may be made to fit.
Norm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm 
Veteran

Hey Carl,
If you can't find a replacement clip, or even if you can, I recommend going with hook and loop. I have a 38" Woodmaster drum sander that uses hook and loop from either Klingspor or Mirka and I couldn't be happier with it. I can even run two (or three) grits side by side if I want to.

You can easily convert any clip type drum to hook and loop with peel and stick hook strip. Just spiral it on in the opposite direction from the abrasive.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am 
Veteran

When I needed parts for a 15 year old Delta Planer I used "Tool Parts Pro" online:

http://www.toolpartspro.com/delta-parts ... parts.html

I looked through for the part number you mentioned but did not see it.
That's unusual, because they generally list all the parts in the schematic whether they're available, discontinued or not.
Maybe it's a different number?

I've only replaced the paper on a drum sander once; that fiddly experience was enough for me.
I like Toms suggestion of hook and loop.

Anyway good luck with your search.