WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Curing holly
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:45 pm 
Veteran

Greetings all -

Recently our turning club participated in the harvest of some not too very big holly trees. Out of it I got a few logs about 8" diameter. I've ripped out the pith and slabbed about four pieces to 2" thick x 30" long. At the moment I've got them along with some other smaller pieces boiling in a big tub out in the yard. This is on the 'boiling' theory I've read about for treating madrona. This is my first attempt at this process so not sure how it will turn out nor what is the next step after the boiling. Or how long I should leave them in the stew pot. I'm guessing at least an hour at a rolling boil??

Anyone have experience doing this?

Oh - I post this in the general woodworking forum since it's not really about turning. Although my end goal is to use the holly as thin accent pieces in coopered pieces along with possibly learning to do some inlay work.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject: Re: Curing holly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:20 am 
Veteran

Hey Dennis,
The point of boiling is to denature the enzymes that cause the holly to go grey (technically called "browning" in the food science field). Unfortunately, boiling also tends to cook the wood much like kiln drying does. A little oxalic acid will shorten the required boiling time. I don't know how long it takes, but I would guess that it's much less than you think.
Let us know what you find out, will you?
By the way, a nice wide, pure white piece of holly can be made into a translucent, thin turning that resembles fine porcelain. Just saying' :wink:
Cheers,
Tom

ps. Not to belabor the point but: The staining is not just because of a fungal infection. It is because of a peroxidase enzyme in the wood (think of an apple browning when you cut it). That is why it happens so fast after cutting. Once you have the color, it is very difficult, if not impossible to reverse.

If you have the opportunity to harvest more holly, you can borrow my steam box, which will get the wood to temperature much faster than boiling, and without as much damage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm 
Veteran

Here's the setup I used for boiling the holly. Never really got the water up to a rolling boil but was steaming pretty good for at least an hour:

Attachment:
Boiling setup02.JPG

Evidently that was enough to forestall any serious staining or discoloration.

Attachment:
Holly boiled 2..JPG

I had ripped the pith out of the slabbed pieces prior to boiling but in retrospect, if I were gonna turn anything from this I would have rough turned it before the boiling process. I'll try to get a round tooit soon to see how well the inside turned out, no pun intended. Right now there are some more logs locked in the embrace of a frozen tub out in the driveway. Should get a break in the weather coming up next week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:16 am 
Veteran

I learned something new today discoloring wood. is it the same process with linden that sometimes are greenish when you buy it. i thought it was due to lazy workers at the saw mill that hadnt stacked the boards airy enough?
/anders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 pm 
Veteran

Don't have time to read all these posts, but sorry for your woes. Hope Holly is better soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 pm 
Veteran

What disease does Holly have? Will there be a midnight ambulance run? I always wait until midnight, less traffic.