WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dresser project preview
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:46 am 
Veteran

I am planning to build two dressers, one for each of my twin Daughters. The two dressers will be built from the same plan but will have some small details to set them apart. One of the challenges I have chosen for this project is bent lamination pulls. I have already created the bent lam pulls and am now working on ideas for attaching them. I will likely use mortise and tenon to join a bracket to the ends of the pull and the drawer face. I will be using cherry hardwood, curly maple veneer and hardwood and maple plywood for the project.
I have included an image of a model from a set of scaled plans I created using sketchup. I have struggled with computer drafting in the past and gave up on it and reverted back to conventional drafting. I downloaded sketchup a week ago and have been devoting an hour or two a night to learn the program. I have more to learn and am struggling with a few things but really like using the software opposed to pencil and paper.

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:05 am 
Veteran

Looks like they'll be very nice. :) Your plan doesn't show height or width, but if the width allows, you might consider putting a removable separator in one or both of the top drawers. I did that with the chest I made and it is handy for keeping small stuff organized.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:25 pm 
Veteran

Really nice design, Wayne!

I just can't get me head around Sketchup ... I have committed myself to learning it though.
Well, it's more of an idea than a commitment. :lol:

Quote:
I will likely use mortise and tenon to join a bracket to the ends of the pull and the drawer face.

A loose tenon that goes into mortises in the pull and the drawer?
I don't know why, but, something nagging in the back of my head says this isn't the best solution.
I don't have anything else to offer though... :oops:
It will probably work just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:20 pm 
Veteran

DMoening wrote:
Really nice design, Wayne!

I just can't get me head around Sketchup ... I have committed myself to learning it though.
Well, it's more of an idea than a commitment. :lol:

Quote:
I will likely use mortise and tenon to join a bracket to the ends of the pull and the drawer face.

A loose tenon that goes into mortises in the pull and the drawer?
I don't know why, but, something nagging in the back of my head says this isn't the best solution.
I don't have anything else to offer though... :oops:
It will probably work just fine.

Dan, there are many instructional videos on youtube for sketchup. I found it helpful to watch a project build video on my ipad or TV as I follow the steps to creating the project on my PC.

I am still milling over the joinery and am leaning toward a tenon in two sides of the bracket. One for the pull and one for the drawer face. Or just a tenon for the pull and inlay the bracket into the drawer face.

Dewayne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 pm 
Veteran

I have decided on a method for attaching the dresser pulls. I have cut the ends of the pulls as shown in the drawing. This gives me a bit of long grain to long grain and I will have 2 dowels on each end. I will cover the dowels with flush trimed plugs shown in a contrasting color. Not sure yet if I will make the dowel locations an accent with cherry on maple or try to hide them with maple plugs.

Dewayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:11 am 
Veteran

Accent! I vote accent.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:23 pm 
Veteran

Quote:
I will cover the dowels with flush trimed plugs shown in a contrasting color. Not sure yet if I will make the dowel locations an accent with cherry on maple or try to hide them with maple plugs.

Why not make the dowels out of Cherry to start with?
Skip the plug step altogether.

I built a bed for my daughter 12+ years ago now ... the Hickory top rail was screwed to the frame and covered with contrasting Walnut plugs. I can *feel* where a few of the plugs have raised up since their installation. I suspect, but cannot verify, that a solid dowel will not behave in this manner. But it does save a bit of work.

ETA: That design looks very nice. And should glue up quite solidly.