WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shed update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:27 am 
Veteran

My shed build is going pretty well, and I'm learning a lot to boot. I got the skid foundation placed and I ended up level between the two skids on the first try.

Then I hit my first rework when I found that one skid was further forward than the other. :oops:

But, I finally got them moved, level and square, and then I pegged them in place with some rebar, and used an auger to drill the holes.

The next weekend I built the platform with treated 2X6 and OSB flooring.

Then, last weekend I built the wall frames.

This weekend was supposed to have been getting the trusses built, up, and then the siding and sheathing on the roof. However, between Tstroms, dead trees, errands and various other problems, I didn't get quite there. Then I built the trusses, using some additions to the platform as a building jig.

Saturday morning, I got the platform primed and painted, and I plan to give it a second coat of paint once it's finished.

Then we got the wall frames up.

That was when I noticed the massive dead sections on the Cottonwood tree just down from the end of the shed. I just knew that if I finished the shed, that the huge limbs would end up coming down and not nice and controled. So, with the help of my nieghbor's son, I managed to cut off the deadwood and drop them right where I needed them to go.

Today, I added diagnals to each of the wall frames, now they are ROCK SOLID, and I got the trusses up and installed with the 16' ridge pole.

From the shots above, you may notice that instead of going with 6' tall walls, I'm going with 8' high which will give me more storage space, and wall space. I've also gone with a 12/12 roof. Yes, it's pretty steep, and it's going to be a RPITA to sheathe, paper and shingle, but it won't hold onto a lot of snow in winter, and it give me goobs of over head storage room. This is a method to my madness.

In amonst the trees.

Ridge connection

Jo was a huge help in getting the frames in place, and holding the ladder for me. She is really doing quite well. Her Dr. just gave her a major cut in her meds last week. We're starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject: Re: Shed update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:08 am 
Veteran

Excellent news on all fronts!
eric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:08 am 
Veteran

eric wrote:
Excellent news on all fronts!
eric

Like Eric said, definitely good news on all fronts.

As far as sheathing, papering & roofing, the small size (compared to a house) will make it a little easier. But you're right, will be a PITA. Just a thought though. Make sure you check the shingle manufacturer's specs for overlap/spacing. Not sure if the steep pitch requires any different overlap or nailing requirements. I know flatter than 4/12 does.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:01 am 
Veteran

Shed looks great from here.
I wish I'd only gone with 8' sidewalls when I put up my mini barn, I did 10' and while I love the 'volume', the upper deck has a bunch of stuff up there that only my sons have seen in the past several years.

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:38 pm 
Veteran

Great news. Looks great.