WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hit & a near miss
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm 
Veteran

So last week, I had to rush up to WY yet again. I'd been working late during the week and hadn't finished making some parts in the shop that I needed up in WY. So I took off early from work and was rushing to get the parts made so I could get on the road.

THE HIT
One of the pieces was a back for a shadow box we're building. Instead of lowering my cutting grid from the ceiling and using a jig saw and straight edge like I should have done, I decided to use the TS, because the shop is too cluttered to lower the grid. :roll: So cutting a 4' square sheet of 1/4" ply is rough enough, but I got through that OK. I then had to cut a pair of chamfers at the upper corners. So I set my miter guage, and had at it, instead of using my miter sled like I should have done. :roll: All was well for the first one, but on the second cut, just after moving the work piece past the blade, and stupidly, before cutting the power, I reached over to scoot the small triange away from the blade. Well, just as soon as I touched it, it slid into the back of the blade, and with a loud BANG went airbourn at warp 6, slipped just under my right bicep and gave me a good scrape to remember it by. Small bruise and scratches, no real blood, but boy did that thing STING! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

THE NEAR MISS
I also had to cut a piece for a panel frame for a box top I'm working on. This is the 3rd time at making this because SWMBO keep changing her mind on what she wants :roll: ImageImageImageSo I get a length of African Mohaugany and cut it to length. I noticed that it had a slight bow and twist to it, but didn't really think it'd be an issue.

You know, I really need to learn to listen to these little warning voices in my boney head. :-?

So I go to rip the piece to the right width. Note, the previous week I dropped a heavy tool on my ZCI and broke it and haven't had a chance to make a new one, nor had I managed to pull my head out enough to re-attach the factory splitter/guard/anti-kick back pawls, because that would just make too much sence and you know that we just can't have that. :roll: So here I am, with a sevear case of a rectal/crainial inversion, ripping a known warped board with no splitter, no guard, no ZCI, no anti-kick back pawls, and obviously no common horse sence. Well, it doesn't take Mr. Wizard to see the handwritting on this wall. Things were about to get real ugly, real fast.

LUCKILY for me, I'd just suffered the hit from the small piece of ply that was still STINGGING like nobodies business, so as soon as I got into the cut and noticed the outfeed end of the board starting to pinch back together and felt the slight springy resistance to the feed, I stopped the push, and keeping firm pressure on the board, I slowly backed it out of the blade. Once out, and after I got my heart back in my chest and out of my throat, and my pants changed, I installed the guard and finished the cut without further incident.

Lessons learned:

1. Keep the shop in order so I can use the right tools for the job.
2. NEVER REACH OVER THE TS BLADE WHILE IT'S STILL ON!
3. ALWAYS USE A ZCI, OR A SLED IF POSSIBLE!
4. ALWAYS USE A SPLITTER WHEN RIPPING!
5. DON'T RIP WARPPED WOOD, ONLY SQUARE!
6. DO NOT RUSH! Getting finished late, and up to WY late is still faster than rushing and taking a trip to the ER.

I know that some might read this and say, 'JEEZE what an idiot!' but remember this, it's real easy to take a quick short cut and more often than not you get away with it clean. Then it's real easy to think, 'well, I'll just do another quick shortcut.' Before you are aware, your little short cuts are stacking the deck against you. I could have gotten away with ripping the board without the splitter had it not been warpped. I could have gotten away with not using the ZCI, if I'd uesed the guard. But put these 2 together and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Lucky? EXTREMELY! And I know it. I also know that luck ain't always gonna be on my side. So, I aim to clear up the shop before I work out there again, make another ZCI, and make it easier to use the other tools and jigs I have to keep the wood on the saw and out of the air. Untill I get the ZCI done, the guard is back on the TS.

Finally, I have to remember that I'm the only one who can prevent injuries in my shop. If I don't have my head firmly on the task at hand, then I've got no business in the shop. More often than not, that means thinking each step through before turning the machine on.

So, take your best shot folks, I shouldn't be the only one kicking my butt over this one.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 pm 
AdminMama

Frank, as one who experienced an extremely painful bruise from a kick-back, you have joined the ranks of those who can't believe it happened, but you have also joined the ranks of those who learned from the kickback.

Nope, you won't get a lecture from me. You've learned, just as I learned.

Glad it wasn't any worse, Frank.

Take care

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 am 
Veteran

At least you learned, Frank. I don't seem to share that ability.

Just today I was ripping a piece of 1/4" plywood 4' long and from 18" wide down to 15". Failure to pay attention to the outfeed end resulted in a complete destruction of the work piece and a nasty bruise in my groin.

Yes, it happened once before.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am 
Veteran

BTDT!
Will I ever learn?
I have several minor kick-backs and ONE major one that put my thumb into the blade.
I now have a jig to use for warped wood if I rember to use it!!!

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 pm 
Veteran

Wow sounds like a bad time for sure Frank, glad you weren't badly hurt.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:45 pm 
Veteran

BTDT. Glad to hear that you came to your senses and listened to the little voice in the brain.

Lesson leaned, not forgotten.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:04 pm 
Veteran

Frank, you just need to slow down a bit. Glad you're not seriously injured. Take your time and be careful, let the projects finish when they finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 am 
Veteran

Frank, I'm glad your injuries weren't too serious. Thanks for posting
the safety reminder - we all benefit from your honest assessment and
the need to stay aware in the shop.

Working in a rush and working when you are tired/distracted is a sure
recipe for disaster. Thanks again for the reminder.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 am 
Veteran

not casting the first stone either...

glad you're ok
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 pm 
Veteran

Glad you weren't hurt worse. I haven't had a kickback yet and it's probably due to the fact that everyone hear is brutally honest about their mistakes. I may not listen to the voices in my head but I do listen to yours :-D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:37 pm 
Veteran

Glad you weren't hurt bad.

All very good rules!

If I had followed them I would not have a messed up finger.

That moment of being brain dead will get you every time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:34 am 
AdminMama

Frank, thank you for posting this safety reminder.

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to help him remake a bathroom vanity. He wanted 9" removed from where the drawers had been.

I put the face frame on the table saw sled and then I stopped. Mark looked at me rather quizically and I told him about your thread. I said that I wanted to make sure I was ripping this in the safest manner possible. He said yes....then he said no. He moved off to the side of the rear of the blade so his middle section wasn't a "target". I thanked him and still thought for another moment more, doing a mental checklist.

So thank you for the timely post about how we all need to slow down sometimes.

And the vanity fits perfectly in the new smaller space!!

Verna