WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 am 
Veteran

Here is a link for an upcoming auction. They will be auctioning 2,000,000 BF of lumber :shock: Yes that's 2 million

http://www.iaasonline.com/auctions.php

Looks like you can bid online, but I don't know how that works with the lumber. I requested a list of the lumber, but haven't received it yet. Most of the equipment is industrial stuff, so I probably won't have much interest in that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 am 
Veteran

OK so the ad in the paper overstated the amount being auctioned. I got the list and there is only 1,411,900 BF of lumber being auctioned :D

But of that, 1,160,000 BF is imported hardwood. They have African Mahogany, Brazilian Cherry, Central/South American Mahogany, Sapele, SIPO (aka Utile, member of the mahogany family), and Spanish Cedar.

I think I'm going to have to take off work that day. It's only about 40 minutes from my house in Hanover, PA :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
Veteran

"30’ Tall x 14’ Diameter Steel Dust Collection System" Lay that on it's side and it is almost as big as my house!!! Pretty sure there's no room in my workshop for that one. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:24 pm 
Veteran

John Boy wrote:
OK so the ad in the paper overstated the amount being auctioned. I got the list and there is only 1,411,900 BF of lumber being auctioned :D

But of that, 1,160,000 BF is imported hardwood. They have African Mahogany, Brazilian Cherry, Central/South American Mahogany, Sapele, SIPO (aka Utile, member of the mahogany family), and Spanish Cedar.

I think I'm going to have to take off work that day. It's only about 40 minutes from my house in Hanover, PA :D

I wonder what the minimum lot size will be. With that much I'd guess 5000bf or more of each species. I went to one of these big volume auctions once and lot sizes tended to be quite large, which lowers $/bf, but total cost of 5-10K per lot was way beyond my meager budget. I ended up buying what I needed from the bid winner, and he didn't even want a profit. Nice guy :-D :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
John Boy wrote:

I wonder what the minimum lot size will be. With that much I'd guess 5000bf or more of each species. I went to one of these big volume auctions once and lot sizes tended to be quite large, which lowers $/bf, but total cost of 5-10K per lot was way beyond my meager budget. I ended up buying what I needed from the bid winner, and he didn't even want a profit. Nice guy :-D :-D

I think I'm going to check on that. I was wondering about it, since it would take forever to sell that much in small lots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:51 pm 
Veteran

Yowza...

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:19 pm 
Veteran

John Boy wrote:
Gene wrote:
John Boy wrote:

I think I'm going to check on that. I was wondering about it, since it would take forever to sell that much in small lots.

The other thing you can bet on, is that there will be some major manufacturers there. The big furniture and cabinet guys with deep pockets, and probably some car guys for interior trim on high end cars and stuff. They will want to turn it all into veneer. It might be fun, just as entertainment, to watch the bidding. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:12 am 
Veteran

John,
If you have time go! The little strange lots that have a bit of everything or not enough of anything to interest the top fish are the things to look out for.

Be a bottom feeder and wait patiently, and then when the moments right,
just jump up and get a bargain on something special..

I've done very well by sales in the past and hope you do too!.

eric

PS sometimes you even get a good medium sized lot that you have to just get rid of some to save what you wanted!
There are often other bidders there who will purchase some of the unwanted stuff as you load your truck. You might even get the purchase price back!

PPS jeepers maybe I get a bit too excited by auctions, but I love em!