WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:19 pm 
Veteran

I told Chuck Knarr down in the "Daily UareL" that I had been thinking of making my own marking knife and thanked him for posting a few" how to's" on the project.
Well as with everything, I have my own ideas on how things should be done and what they should look like. I tried to be normal once, it was the longest 5 minutes of my life!
I wanted a heavy duty, stand up to everything kind of knife so, I began with some heavy duty materials......

See "Parts for Marking knife"

That is hard maple and a 3/4" paddle bit. No flexy, flip flop blade for me!

It took alot of work on both the drill bit and the wood. That is where I cut myself, carving the wood handle with a chisel. NO!!!, The inside of the handle so the blade would fit right!!

See "Knife in the works"

I split the handle, carved out an area for the flat part of the blade and then drilled the hole for the shank later.

Well, I gotterdone!!! It doesn't look too good but, it is stout and should work for a long time.

I used 45 degree bevel on the point of the blade and 45 degree bevel on the cutting edge of the blade. I want to make as wide a mark as I can with a knife just so I can see it! Its not hard to see cross grain but, marking with the grain is a bit tough and those thin bladed X-acto knives are even worse. Not to mention they wander all over and break too. Did you ever snap off an X-acto blade in a chunk of wood and then try to get it out?

See "Marking knife"

I would to love to see some of the knives you guys have made. This is just my first try and I really am open for more ideas.
There has to be a better way!!

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 pm 
Veteran

Made this one from plans Not exactly the same, but close. Easiest is to make the grip in 3 pieces, then glue together and, if you want, rivet the blade in place with a bit of 1/8" brass rod. Check your PM's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:02 pm 
Veteran

Now THAT'S a marking knife! :shock: Dang, you could get both hands on that one. Hope the cut heals fast. :wink:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 pm 
Veteran

Nice marking knife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm 
Veteran

That looks like it will work just fine-- any problems with the metal becoming too soft?

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:28 pm 
Veteran

Rog nice looking marker, lots of jailed convicts are drooling over that fine shiv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:28 am 
Veteran

Hey Rog, Nice Work. Always feels better to create what you need rather than just take what the industry pushes. That will last a lifetime and your great great grandkids will have an heirloom.
I had the same problem 'til last September. Phil Lowe gave a seminar to our WWguild and he had one I really liked but he said you had to have one for right and left .... not so. I bought his handle and then got the Hock blade. Made a scabbard for it and installed a rare earth magnet to keep it sheathed in my apron pocket. Best view is "sideshow" option.
http://picasaweb.google.com/PawPawDon62 ... 9255161138
BTW ... In the pics you will see some quilted maple I got for the piece I'm building for school. Milling caused horrendous tear out but.... the LN#62 and the #4 smoother tamed it beautifully.
good luck,
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:38 am 
Veteran

Don,

If you have a single beveled marking knife Phil Lowe is absolutely correct. You will need both a left beveled and a right beveled knife. The reason? A marking knife should only be used with the flat side against the guide; the taper of the blade should be away from the guide.

If you have a double tapered knife, like you show in your photo, like the one Roger made, and the kind I prefer, then you only need one knife.

By the way, beautiful lumber you have in the photo! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
Veteran

Thanks, Chuck. That is what I meant "You don't need 2 if you have a blade with a taper on both sides and one flat reference side. Hock sells the perfect blade. The handles are too expensive to ignore the obvious. I love this little tool ... the heft is ideal ... it's easy to keep sharp ... the sheath 'jumps' on it if you get it close ... and, I think it looks good.
Just had to add the pics of the quilted maple. Everyone on this forum knows the joy of a sharp plane slicing through beautiful figure like this and leaving THE most beautiful surface. So ... I wanted to share it.
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:45 pm 
Veteran

Don2Laughs wrote:
... the joy of a sharp plane slicing through beautiful figure ...

Don -

Could you pick up the phone over in a new thread 'Working Figured Wood'? Got a question about some nice wood I'm trying to use.

Cheers - Dennis