WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 pm 
Veteran

I feel really (really) dumb asking this question.

I recently purchased a leather strop (no backing) and have been using it on some of my recent plane purchases/rehabs. I have been following the instructions on the baggie which say to "pull the tool towards you with the edge facing away for approximately 30 strokes, being careful not to round the edge" Without really thinking about it I have been using the smooth... finished side of the leather for this...but then I thought about the leather strops on my wet sharpener which has a leather wheel... but it is suede side out...

I did a quick google search and turned up both-- some said to use the suede side while others said smooth....

So which is it? I am not using any compound and seem to be getting good results (from my embarassingly quickly growing collection) with the smooth side, but should I be doing it another way?

Thanks in advance
Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence on Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 am 
Veteran

They had the outside (slick side) up, but remember, they had a coarse muslin belt with compound underneath.

I power strop now, but I still have my old chunk of leather PTO belt for insides of delicate tools, where I have the proper sweep cut in and some Cr O compound on it. Slick side, that is.

Use what satisfies you,not your visitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:33 am 
Veteran

First and formost this is a prime example of my favorite phrase, "The only Stupid question is the one you DON'T ask." Lawrence, that's a perfectly good question, and one that seems to have nearly stumped about 3 of us. To be honest, I'd never thought of it before, and since I'm a new-be to hand planes, I'll be watching this thread with intrest.

Another phrase of mine I used with my classes for years was, "Don't be afraid to ask what you might think is a stupid question. Chances are that there are at least 3 or 4 other's with the same question who don't have the courage to ask." 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am 
Veteran

I purchased a strop mounted on at board from Woodcraft it has the suede side up and was to be used with compound.

Now I was also taught that you only need to strop it 4 to 7 times on each side. :wink:

If man made it, I can fix it.
If God made it we can pray for it.

Lessons I have learned:
NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF TEAK
Always remove the zero clearance insert before you tilt the blade DAMHIKT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:23 am 
Veteran

The one I have is mounted on a wooden handle and it's rough side out...

But, 30 strokes? Man, I go 5 or 6 and that's it...

Unless I'm trying to start a fire... :-)

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:33 am 
Veteran

Ditto what Tom said. I made mine out of an old saddle belly band a neighbor gave me, and when I go more than 5 or 6 strokes it makes a "nay" sound. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 pm 
Veteran

A brown paper bag will do the same job of aligning the micro burrs. I have tried it and it does smooth them out.

Post subject: MDF
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 pm 
Veteran

MNPine wrote:
A brown paper bag will do the same job of aligning the micro burrs. I have tried it and it does smooth them out.

I sometimes use a piece of MDF and a piece of autosol (same compbound as Tormek sells but another brand- much cheaper)
Thick leather glued to a straight piece of wood or MDF works great.
/Anders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the responses all-- I spent a couple of hours sharpening today (norton waterstones arrived this week and I broke them in) Between the stones and the strop, all I can say is that I've never gotten such keenly sharp edges... insanely sharp... not just mirror reflective, but mercury-like blurry "oh my gosh keep the children away from it" sharp....

I tried both sides of the strop and ended up going with rough side out- the keeness seems the same both sides, but I catch the edge on the smooth side while honing much more often so I'll go with the rough side out

Over the last week or so I tuned up an English #4c to use as a smoother, hoping it would give me better results with my QSWO veneer than my other stanley has... lets just say that a sharp blade and tuned plane really make things a pleasure

Care to read the paper through 1.5 inch wide shavings?

This plane is so easy to tune in... I filed the corners of the iron, reshaped the tote for my hand, cleaned it up and flattened the sole... then I closed up the mouth so that only a whisper can get through... and my oh my it just sails through maple... unfortunately some of the QSWO backtracking grain still is giving me fits... I may have to scrape quite a bit

Here's a before of the plane

Thanks for all the advice everyone--
Lawrence