WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Biskit Joiner Technique
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:39 am 
Veteran

Got a situation where I need to make a butt joint between two pieces of plywood veneer with the joint being located some distance from the end of the face piece. How do you accurately register the joiner to make the cut in the face piece? I've never had a need to do this up 'til now.

I've scribed a line on the marked side of the end piece but it seems a bit tenuous to hold the joiner accurately on a scribed line and without it moving during the operation.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:28 am 
Veteran

If you are having trouble holding the biscuit joiner steady on end you can clamp a relatively thin fence to the board and use that as a guide. Depending on the type of joiner you have this fence might have to be pretty thin to clear but as long as it can be 1/4"-thick or so you should be able to use it effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 am 
Veteran

Depending on the situation.....
Would it be possable to cut a grove/narrow dado across the face board to use for the biskets insted of using the jointer to cut slots???
Otherwise, I would clamp a board for a tempory "fence" and align the bisket cutter off of that.

I just wanted to comment on your "sign off comment" (Less is more, more or less.)
It reminde me of my favorate ode.....
" Here lies Lester Moore
Shot 6 times with a 44,
No Les no more."
Unknown

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:56 am 
Veteran

Part of the problem, Rog, ... well most all the problem is I forgot to account for joining this vertical partition in a cabinet I'm building. Ordinarily I'd dado what I'm calling the face piece but managed to go brain dead somewhere along the way so here I am. I'm reluctant to rely on a plywood endgrain to plywood face grain glue bond mainly because I'll need to handle and transport the piece from shop to installation using the top as a handle at one end.

I've got a PC joiner, Tom. I think I see where and how to mount the fence to guide the tool. It's just that this is the last operation, installing the top of the cabinet, and the anxiety level mounts every time I start thinking about the operation.

"Less is More" is a quote from Mies Van deRohe(sp) architect, Rog. I worked with a fellow some years ago who had an amazing sense of humor. He added the second line.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:18 pm 
Veteran

Here is my method...
1) position the "shelf" to be biscuited to the the "side"..."side" laying flat on table, with the "shelf" standing vertically (square it to the side).
2) position a scrap plywood piece next to the bottom of the "shelf", clamp firmly to the "side".
3) adjust the biscuit jointer base to the bottom edge of the "shelf".
4) position the "shelf" against the plywood for position...make your pencil marks to align the jointer for the cuts...on both the "shelf" and "side".
5) position the jointer base against the plywood guide align to the pencil marks (the jointer will be vertical with the face against the "side"...make your cuts in the the "side".
6) joint the cuts into the "shelf" ends keeping the base aligned with the bottom of the "shelf".
7)you are now ready to glue up with perfect alignment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 pm 
Veteran

Are you locked into using biscuits? Perhaps a different method of attaching the pieces would be simpler and easier. Something to think about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:11 pm 
Veteran

I have never been satisfied with my (porter cable ) biscuit jointer for butt joints!. If I cann't cut them on my shapper I use dowels intead! A simple "T" fixture can be made to clamp on your parts to assure precise alighnment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:14 pm 
Veteran

Well, I muddled through it today and got the parts to come together in a reasonably OK fashion. Not overjoyed with the results but I'll have to live with it if I expect to continue to live with my soul mate. So might as well put this topic to bed unless someone has anything better to offer than has been offered thus far.

I thought about using dowels, Gene and in a moment of weakness I almost succumbed to the temptation to shoot a couple brad nails through the top of the shelf! No, I wouldn't have done it but the thought did occur after a couple hours of head scratching.

I need to print out your procedure, Bob, and physically go through it. Guess I need to hone my chess skills in order to mentally follow your otherwise detailed instructions. Thanks! I mean it! I'll confess to some lack of understanding of biscuit joiner terminology, though. Not sure I understand step 3, " adjust the biscuit jointer base to the bottom edge of the shelf". I'll wear the Dunce hat for this week if you'll explain how to go about this.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Veteran

Here are a few pix to illustrate my other posting...

1) square "shelf" to "side" panel, add/clamp scrap plywood as a guide to position the bottom of the shelf.

2)adjust the base of the jointer to the bottom of the shelf...this is the reference point to determine where the bottom of the shelf will be to the side for cutting biscuit slots...it is harder to control when using the center line of the shelf...when using the base of the shelf is goof proof.

3) set the base of the jointer against the plywood guide (after marking the shelf and side for the biscuit locations)...cut your biscuit slots.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 am 
Veteran

Bob -

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post the photos of your procedure. Makes a lot more sense with the visuals. Much appreciated!

Cheers - Dennis