WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 pm 
Veteran

I don't post often but I do lurk a lot. I ask all of you to pleasa use some kind of dust collection. My father in law, who was a avid woodworker, just past away from lung cancer. It was very bad watching him die and I would hate for any of your loved ones to have to go through that. I now use a dust mask along with my dust collection. God bless Doug (my father in law)
lutzy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:21 am 
Veteran

I am very sorry to hear of your loss Lutzy.
Take care, and thank you for pointing this out.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 am 
Veteran

One kind of dust collection makes little or no sense if you subscribe to organic dust being a carcinogen. That's the one you put on the ceiling to keep the finest stuff airborne long enough to be collected by yourself or it.

Makes sense to use a collector at point of production and defend your nose with a mask. Organic vapor type masks are a good suggestion for those who regularly work exotic oily stuff. There are some strange chemicals in there which can produce irritating vapors.

Inorganic particulate matter from sandpaper or the grinder can lead to lesions similar to asbestosis or silicosis after prolonged exposure. Protect yourself there behind a shield and mask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am 
Veteran

I use a DC with most tools, a shop vac with others. Any time I'm turning I use both a DC and a Positive Pressure Face Shield, and when sanding or working MDF I use both a DC and a resperator with vapor filters.

My Father passed about 3 years ago from COPD. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sorry for your loss Mate. I've seen the same lingering with my Best friend who died from COPD, my Dad, and my MIL who passed from cancer. Its the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:11 pm 
Veteran

As someone with a family history of allergies I have always not only used a dust collecter but long ago added an air cleaner. (just a simple "fan in a box" with furnace filters. but it works.) Also having lost a brother in law and a sister to liver cancer I cann't stress using ventatilation with solvents and finishes enough! As my father said :" learn from other peoples mistakes, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself! "